Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deb Tucker's Magic Wand - Do you like it?  What color? >

Deb Tucker's Magic Wand - Do you like it? What color?

Deb Tucker's Magic Wand - Do you like it? What color?

Old 11-25-2019, 06:35 PM

Default Deb Tucker's Magic Wand - Do you like it? What color?

I've started on a project that involves a lot of half square triangles. I like using the method of marking a grid of larger squares and sewing two seams, each 1/4" from the diagonal line of each square, and then cutting on the diagonal line to get two HSTs. I like actually marking the sewing lines (rather than marking the center line and eye-balling the where the sewing line should be). Deb Tucker has a product called a Magic Wand designed to make it faster and easier to mark these sewing lines. I was curious if any one has tried using one these, and if so, did you you find it helpful, or disappointing? For anybody who does like it, what color did you use and did you think that was the best color choice?

For my project, I'm marking my sewing lines on light gray (solid) fabric. Based on the pictures, I suspect that lime, beige or yellow would all work well for that. Thinking ahead for potential future use, I am very fond of blue fabrics, so I would prefer to avoid getting a tool that not work well with blue fabric.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:02 PM

I use the fons and porter 1/4 inch ruler for making HSTs like that. I really like it. not sure if there is an advantage to the color options you have.
https://www.amazon.com/Fons-Porter-R...s%2C330&sr=8-5
Old 11-25-2019, 08:04 PM

There's a ruler specifically made for tracing those lines to make half square triangles. I recently bought it but haven't used it yet. I can see it would save so much time because there would be no measuring to mark your lines---it's like a template or stencil. It makes multiple sizes of half square triangles. Ruler Revolution makes it. Check it out.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I hardly mark mine but if i do, i have a clear ruler with slits in it down the center. mark and sew on either side.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:09 AM

I started quilting before rotary cutters and back in the day we had books and pamphlets and sections in books on how to do a lot of the gridwork stuff and how to figure out the odd angles. That's partially when I gave up measure 7/8ths on triangles and started just using whole numbers and trimming down.

I loved the technique of doing multiples at once and pretty much always used it if I had 8 or more of the same sets. Nowadays I'm usually using more scraps and it doesn't work so well for me. But I love the continuous sewing, forget who said it but it is like "drawing a picture (house?) when you don't lift your pencil".

I do believe in the right tool for the right job. If you are already going to draw a grid, I guess I figure that's the hard part and I'd just keep going without a special tool, I wouldn't want to have to switch out to a different ruler than I was using for the grid.

Last time I used the technique was with these homespuns/kona cotton, made the little triangles come out nice and straight without warping.
Unfinished Quilt Stories
Old 11-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Nancy Notions has a simple tool that makes marking the sew line very easy.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 PM

I have the Magic Wand in the neon yellow color, and I like it... when I use it. I don't use it often because I seem to prefer marking a single line diagonally on the back one square and sewing ~1/4 inch away from that. I also have a Quilter's Rule Quick Quarter II. I purchased it a long time ago, and unless things have changed, I'd skip it. Mine has rough edges (so my line isn't as smooth as I'd like) and isn't as easy to use it's hard to line up the center line properly.

I liked the Magic Wand because it's clear of markings other than a thin groove down the back (and the brand name in the middle, well out of the way), which is what you line up with the corners of the square. It's also long enough to use for pretty much anything I'd be making. It's just not something I use often.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:23 PM

I have the F&P rulers and use it all the time. Great for HST's.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:09 PM

I have the Magic Wand in a couple of different colors for dark and light fabric. It seems to work well for me. I bought mine from a show so no S&H cost. I also grab it when I need to make a straight line on something. I find the color stands out when I'm just grabbing for a quick fix.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I want to say mine is lime green, but, it could be yellow. I like it very much and use it when marking squares for triangles is a must. I have also used it to draw straight lines when marking divided pockets because of the size. It is just perfect for that.