Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I make this quilt better? >

How can I make this quilt better?

How can I make this quilt better?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:07 PM

Wow you are all making me feel a lot better about the colours of the quilt! I think I struggle with the colours as they are out of my comfort zone. Usually I make really bright quilts full of colour. I really took my time making the points for this quilt and was/am quite proud of that. If you all like this than I am sure I have someone in my life who would like it. I will take the suggestion of adding a small white border and than a larger dark border. I will just quilt it with simple lines to finish it off.

117becca - that is a good observation. They are little prints but I agree with you that it doesn't work as well as it could the way it is with the larger prints. Something I will keep it in mind for future quilts.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 PM

you will really love it when you add a dark border and quilt it.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:28 PM

I like your quilt! The borders suggested would add to it, but I think often, more than anything, it's the quilting that breathes life into the quilt. It's definitely worth finishing, or if you can't get past it, hand it off to someone who would like to finish it. It's a really nice quilt so far!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 PM

Finish the quilt then see how you feel. Sewing that last stitch has a strong feeling of satisfaction. Then you can decide what to do from gifting to keeping as a just in case.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:27 AM

You could always applique a large spray of flowers over the whole thing - use the quilt top as if it were just a piece of variegated fabric. I think it looks rather classy as is, though.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:39 AM

If it were mine, I would use a narrow white border first, say two and half inches. Following that, I would use one of the rich brown tones which appear in the pinwheels of your wonderful top. Bind the finished quilt in white, or pick one of the lighter browns/beiges. You've created something truly special. Don't give up on it just yet.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:55 AM

Your top really is pretty even if it is low volume in color. It is serene and comfortable to look at. You have received lots of wonderful suggestions. Please finish it so that it can be used by someone else if you don't like it after finishing it. It is only a waste if you don't finish it.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:59 AM

keep the quilt. add narrow white, then wider darker color then bind with tan.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:55 AM

Neutral quilts are awesome and this one is awesome. If you are tired of it just put a narrow white border and then another outer border and save to give someone.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl View Post
That is definitely a keeper!!! Don't throw it out Lizzie3!!!!! I really like it..... soothing.

I agree with Francie yuhas..... a small white border then a larger, outer border with one of the darker tones.
I totally agree, it is very soothing but I also think the ideas for the border are right on !!