Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How can I make this quilt better? >

How can I make this quilt better?

How can I make this quilt better?

Old 05-11-2016, 07:23 AM

Default How can I make this quilt better?

I made this disappearing pinwheel quilt a couple of years ago and then quit as I didn't like the colours. I regret using white with the light shades. If I could do it again I would use an ivory or beige and I would use darker browns/greens to contrast with it.

I am very temped to throw this out. Why work on something that I dislike right? Two years later and I still don't like it. However, I would hate to just throw it out. I'm wondering if there is a border that I could add that might make it a bit better, or more interesting?
Attached Thumbnails disappearing-pinwheel.png  
Old 05-11-2016, 07:34 AM

First of all,I like this quilt! Not every quilt has to pop your eyes out...some are just soothing. How about an inner,small border of white and then one of the darker tones for an outer border?
Old 05-11-2016, 07:38 AM

That is definitely a keeper!!! Don't throw it out Lizzie3!!!!! I really like it..... soothing.

I agree with Francie yuhas..... a small white border then a larger, outer border with one of the darker tones.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:42 AM

I agree with the other comments. A dark outer border would really be beautiful.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I like your quilt too, but I can definitely understand where you are coming from. I made a quilt that I absolutely hated once it got to the stage yours is. It ended up languishing in my UFO pile for years, like over ten!! When I got my longarm I needed something to practice on and guess what got dug out of the UFO pile. I did like it a little better after quilting it. I still deemed it a WOMBAT (Waste of Money Batting and Time) but then my friend saw it and she absolutely loved it. I bound it up and happily gifted it to her. That quilt is pictured here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rm-t77776.html

Moral of story, one man's trash is another man's treasure. If it pains you to keep it around as a UFO and you can't bring yourself to take the additional time, effort and $$ to quilt it then gift it to someone or sell it as a top on Ebay or ETSY or even here. You probably won't make what you have invested in fabric but it won't be a total loss. New longarmers will snap it up as a quilt to practice on. Or you can save it to practice FMQ on or if you someday get a longarm you can practice. The beauty of practicing on a quilt you abhor is you don't care if you ruin it!

Don't throw it out, there are many people who would love to have it even in its unfinished state.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 AM

I think it is very pretty. Seems to be a very soothing quilt. Definitely don't throw it out-finish it and give to a charity of some kind. I am sure quite a few would appreciate it. I also agree with the QB members that a dark border may perk it up if that is what you want.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

When you get a darker border on as these above me suggested, maybe you will like it better.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:58 AM

I agree about the border suggestions but if you still don't like it why not donate it to the people in Canada that have lost everything to the fires.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

I would do a large border in a large floral in the colours from the quilt. I have a pretty fabric with creams, beige and white flowers on a black background I would use but there are lots of large prints in those colours. It is a really nice top and you definitely should finish it.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:13 AM
QM
Power Poster

I agree about the border and finishing it, because someone else will love it. However, I might enjoy adding a fairly large, colorful, appliqued butterfly to change the mood.