Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM

I would suggest the piece be around 20"x20" and just keep practicing it does get better I can guarantee that. The videos are people who have been doing this for a while
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
Do you mean Rob Appell of Man Sewing. I watch him whenever he has a new video and have learned a lot. Jenny Doan of MSQC has some FMQ also.
Yes. His video was helpful, and I liked his enthusiasm. Also, I love a man who sews! And cooks!

I watched Jenny's video, which is actually her daughter, who seemed very skilled. But her daughter's hair in her eyes nearly drove me to distraction; I could hardly watch what she was doing for wanting her to brush her hair back, lol!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 AM

Very helpful numbers from Bree! Can't do machine bed flush with tabletop simply because I don't have that arrangement...yet.....but can arrange for all the others. I'm getting used to wearing the gloves and even the cheap garden grippers I have make a world of difference.

>>>>[COLOR=#362F2D]I found the hardest thing was quickly thinking of the next direction to go...
Old 05-25-2016, 09:35 AM

Practice, practice, practice. The more you do, the better you will feel about it. If possible, make some placemats or table runners. The smaller size is easier for you to handle and will help you get the feel of movement and speed.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I'm teaching myself -- or trying to -- to free motion quilt. I have the machine for it....or so it says...a Brother Innov'is 450Q, with the darning foot (which I have not yet worked up the nerve to "break" as Leah Day suggests doing), and have, I think, worked out the tension so I don't get eyelashes. I've set my stitch length to as near zero as possible: 02.

But, boy, am I bad at this! My circles are wonky, I am apparently incapable of stippling, and I can't do pebbles either. I can meander fairly well, and oddly enough I find creating swirls fairly easy, and can make a series of "waves" (that look like cresting ocean waves) that are consistent. And I think I have the speed pretty well understood. A big help was a video by a guy named Rob (right?) who said big stitches were usually caused by slow machine speed and fast moving fabric. On my next attempt I realized he's right. But the line of stitches themselves still sometimes look peculiar, not neat and smooth and precise as I see in the videos. I assume this is a speed problem and I'll get better. I hope, anyway.

The biggest aggravation is the jerkiness that I feel while moving the fabric. I've watched two dozen videos and in all of them the fabric appears to move so smoothly; I see none of the jerkiness or resistance that I'm experiencing. I've sprayed a silicone spray on my machine bed, without much noticeable difference, and have now covered it with wax paper, which is somewhat better. Haven't yet invested in a slider but may in future....if I decide I can actually do this. Right now I'm somewhat obsessed with it. I can't master it but can't leave it alone. It doesn't help that I am a long time amateur artist (I draw and paint)....so feel I should be better at this!

Any tips or hints or suggestions -- or encouragement -- by those who have been where I am?
I might have missed it but I didn't see what size quilt you are trying to work with. Larger quilts may cause drag that some of the videos may not be showing because they are working with smaller projects. I have my quilts fairly well supported but still get drag sometimes.
It sounds like to me you are doing well so far. It may just take more practice to get those designs you would like to use in your free motion quilting.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I'm teaching myself -- or trying to -- to free motion quilt.
But, boy, am I bad at this! My circles are wonky, I am apparently incapable of stippling, and I can't do pebbles either. I can meander fairly well, and oddly enough I find creating swirls fairly easy, and can make a series of "waves" (that look like cresting ocean waves) that are consistent. And I think I have the speed pretty well understood. A big help was a video by a guy named Rob (right?) who said big stitches were usually caused by slow machine speed and fast moving fabric. On my next attempt I realized he's right. But the line of stitches themselves still sometimes look peculiar, not neat and smooth and precise as I see in the videos. I assume this is a speed problem and I'll get better. I hope, anyway.

The biggest aggravation is the jerkiness that I feel while moving the fabric. I've watched two dozen videos and in all of them the fabric appears to move so smoothly; I see none of the jerkiness or resistance that I'm experiencing. I've sprayed a silicone spray on my machine bed, without much noticeable difference, and have now covered it with wax paper, which is somewhat better. Haven't yet invested in a slider but may in future....if I decide I can actually do this. Right now I'm somewhat obsessed with it. I can't master it but can't leave it alone. It doesn't help that I am a long time amateur artist (I draw and paint)....so feel I should be better at this!

Any tips or hints or suggestions -- or encouragement -- by those who have been where I am?
Sorry but had to share a funny thought. By your way of thinking, since I have tightened screws around the house, I should be a great car mechanic right? Lol. Just be parient with your self, you are learning a completely new skill, and that takes time. How did you drive the first time you tried? See? I believe in You. Hugs.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

The difference between good FMQ and not-so-good is lots of PRACTICE. There's no shortcut. Just FMQ a bunch of potholders, mug rugs, quilt-as-you-go squares, or whatever before you tackle a big quilt. And don't be too hard on yourself! Everyone has this learning curve to conquer.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanks, madamekelly! Yes, I know.....I do think because I can draw and paint I should be able to do this....and then I remember how difficult it was learning to use paint instead of pencil or charcoal.

I was -- and was not -- prepared for the size of the learning curve. But I'm encouraged by all of you, and by my efforts, poor as they are at present.

Thank you all!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:40 PM

You've gotten tonnes of good advice so far, but I figured I would chime in, too.

There is no quick fix - as others have said, practice is key. However, my FMQ skills have taken big leaps forward with relatively little effort two times, both due to changes in my quilting equipment.

First, when I switched from a hopping foot to a gliding foot, my quilting suddenly became smoother. Seriously, it was incredible what a difference that small change made. "Breaking" a foot, Leah Day-style, should have the same or similar effect if you don't have a floating option on your machine. Since you say you're experiencing jerkiness, I strongly suggest investigating this option.

Second, when I switched from Machingers to using the Martelli gripper ring to move my fabric, my quilting improved again. I became instantly more capable of keeping my stitch length uniform(ish), and my overall control was better. It was especially noticeable in patterns with straight line segments. I was also able to quilt for longer without my hands getting tired and cramped, so there was more opportunity for practice. Interestingly, I didn't realize I was having such a problem with fatigue and cramping until after I started using the gripper ring.

Those were the big things that helped me. I also found that doodling (creating muscle memory) was valuable, and reducing the maximum speed of my machine so that I could "floor it" all the time and be going at the right speed. This allowed me to focus on my hands, without worrying about what my foot was doing.

Good luck! It sounds like you're on the right track. Keep practicing, and you'll get it!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:23 AM

I found slowing down the speed really helped me. You can increase speed and you gain muscle memory. Also look ahead of where you want to go. Follow other hints given on this board too.