Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Binding--a question (honestly!) >

Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Bias Binding--a question (honestly!)

Old 06-13-2016, 05:45 PM

I did that, Ginger and got a "sorry, no matches"! And I have done it the tube way with no problem. Was just interested in seeing Donna's way. But thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Here ya go. Hope this works. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t=bias+binding
Old 06-14-2016, 03:32 AM

I've done it both ways but prefer just cutting strips on the bias and sewing them together.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:04 AM

What you are doing is my go-to method of making bias binding. If you do this regularly it will become second nature.

Years ago on Alex Anderson's show there was a guest who cut the binding on the serger after removing the needles. Works like a charm, is perfect and takes no time at all.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I have come up with only one very minor reason to use the tube method for binding, you have to try it once.

I did and didn't think it very much fun and I like to do binding. The tutorials using the folded method is an interesting idea and I will have to give it a try. TFS them.
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 06-14-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:23 AM

Coincidentally I just found that one on YouTube!! And yes, it is a very good way. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I love the tube method. It uses every bit of fabric in the square/rectangle without having to sew a jillion tiny seams. I'd much rather sew 2 long seams and draw a few lines and cut by hand than sew a whole bunch of 2.xx" seams.

However, if I'm using a striped fabric for binding I do cut and sew a bunch of 2.xx" seams because I don't want seams going more than one direction and I want to be able to control it more.
I'm with you, Gale. When I first learned to quilt, we were instructed to always use a bias binding. I came across this method in a magazine and cut it out and had it laminated. It worked great for several years until it dawned onto me that it didn't make sense to use the bias binding on straight edged quilts, so haven't done one like this in quite some time. It's nice that there are as many ways of doing things as there are quilters..something for everyone?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
What you are doing is my go-to method of making bias binding. If you do this regularly it will become second nature.

Years ago on Alex Anderson's show there was a guest who cut the binding on the serger after removing the needles. Works like a charm, is perfect and takes no time at all.
OMG that is genius. I'll have to try it.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by recycler View Post
I'm with you, Gale. When I first learned to quilt, we were instructed to always use a bias binding. I came across this method in a magazine and cut it out and had it laminated. It worked great for several years until it dawned onto me that it didn't make sense to use the bias binding on straight edged quilts, so haven't done one like this in quite some time. It's nice that there are as many ways of doing things as there are quilters..something for everyone?
I use bias binding on everything. Well maybe not mini quilts or things like mug rugs but for all big quilts. If I miter, I find that bias binding makes it easier. But usually I use rounded corners to avoid mitering and to avoid worrying about seams in the corners.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 PM

I agree, to an extent. But when I make bias binding, I fold a yard in half so that I have a large triangle, then cut in half on the fold. Then, using tailor's chalk or a soapstone marker to mark, I measure the width of the binding I want for a project and mark the cutting line, using the cutting mat and ruler to cut the binding strips, then join the strips. I join the strips together using this method (See: The Ultimate Quilt Binding Tutorial MSQC). This works wonderfully for either type of binding. Just remember, binding cut on the bias will stretch very easily. I read somewhere (don't remember where, but it was probably on this forum, that bias binding is more durable, but I really do not know from experience whether that is the case. Check out the tutorial, it's super! Jeanette

Edit: I have no financial or business connection whatsoever with MSOC. I just found this method works very well for me. It might not work as well for everyone, but it worked for me.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 06-14-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Disclaimer