Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have you been to an Escape Room? >

Have you been to an Escape Room?

Have you been to an Escape Room?

Old 07-23-2016, 02:34 PM

Well, we are back and we did not find all the clues/open all the locks in time. I thought we were pitiful, but the owner said we did ok for our first "Escape". It wasn't at all what I expected. I thought there would be trivia type questions you had to know the answers to, and there was none of that. (What a relief!) Absolutely everything you need to solve everything is there in the room for you. But it's not as easy as finding a key hidden somewhere. You had to find and interpret clues, which then got you to unlock something that contained another clue or two. There were 8 padlocks in the room, one of which we didn't even discover! Some were opened with a key, some had 3 or 4 number combinations, and one used letters to open the padlock. There were a couple things there to frustrate you, and they worked very well on me! There were some worthless numbers there to lead you own a dead end path, and I followed those, too. And I definitely was not ready to start off with the light off in the room! The first thing you had to do was figure out how to get the light on. Until then you only had two battery operated restaurant table candles to use. Dummy me---I have a small flashlight on my keychain, with me at all times, and I use it alot----never even thought to use it while I was in the dark for the first ten minutes! But it was alot of fun. The owner gave us a couple of clues here and there over a phone, and at the end, showed us the rest of the challenge we hadn't completed. I think if we go again we'll do better because we now understand how an escape room works, and how the clues lead you. It's mostly about being very observant, not about what trivial knowledge you have rattling inside your head. Not a single "quilty" thing in that restaurant! I do recommend it for a fun time if you get a chance to participate in one. This one was $20 each and the challenge was timed at 30 minutes. Dh was glad he went, and planning how we can do another one with four other people.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:22 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun! Never heard of them. How do you find one? Is it a regular restaurant with back rooms??
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Jeanne, it's not in a restaurant at all. This particular location was formerly a bank, and the owner gets to use an actual bank vault in the escapes! The "restaurant' was just the setting in the small room we used, which only requires two participants. The other two escapes there each use a much larger space, have many more clues to find and puzzles to solve, and need six participants, for an hour. There are "Escapes" in and near most large cities, I believe. I know someone in South Carolina, who is familiar with them down there. Just google "escape room Tulsa" and you should find some near you. They are not all called Escape Room, though "escape" seems to be part of the names of most of them. The one we went to is not a franchise at all, just privately owned. Pittsburgh is the closest large city near me, and I think I found four of them when I googled.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:14 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
hmmm... locked up in a room with DH and a series of puzzles to solve... something like that could make or break a marriage...

My thought exactly!! Although, my daughter used to think her daddy (my ex) could "fix" anything, even a broken glass she brought to him once, LOL!

In understand they even have one now in Lynchburg, VA, near me....not surprising as Liberty University, Lynchburg College, and Randolph College are all in that town.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 07-23-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
hmmm... locked up in a room with DH and a series of puzzles to solve... something like that could make or break a marriage...
Saints Preserve Us, it could even be the causative agent for murder.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Have fun! wouldn't work for me or Dh!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:00 AM

Sounds like fun to me! I would enjoy taking some of the family to see how we would do.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:04 AM

We did a team building activity. It was fun. Ours was more problem solving. Most numbers and notes mean something to help solve.

Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I remember being in 4th grade (1962) and one of the homes on a corner lot that I passed on the way to school was building one of those shelters to survive a nuclear bomb. The end of the world may be coming......... No grocery stores, no roads, no gas stations, no restaurants. You have to be very self sufficient in order to survive that.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 AM

We recently went to one while on vacation in Breckenridge, CO. We had to solve a murder of a movie star from the 50s. Again, every clue led to a combination of a lock and a clue and another combination. We had to solve the who, when and how. Our connection to the owner/helper was an old TV. I can't wait to go to another one.