Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about one fabric in my Bargello >

Question about one fabric in my Bargello

Question about one fabric in my Bargello

Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM

I love your color selections, how long did it take you to pick out all of those fabrics?
Old 10-01-2016, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I love your color selections, how long did it take you to pick out all of those fabrics?
It really didn't take me long to select these fabrics because almost half of my stash is purples. (I have never counted my purples, but a quick estimate has me come up with about 75.) I did start this quilt idea with 30 and eliminated until I got the right 20... Then I lined them up from light to dark, then took a picture and looked at them in black and white. I thought I had them all correctly placed, value wise, and then let them sit a few days to see if I was still okay with them.

It wasn't until I started cutting my strip sets that I started questioning that one fabric....which I am now past, so all is good.

Just for fun, I took a picture just now of my purple stash. I have 5 rows of fabric, and 2 of them are purple. The 20 I am using in this quilt are not in this picture... I have been quilting for 6 years, and any time I find a purple I like, I buy it.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S8003025.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	995.5 KB
ID:	559385  
Old 10-01-2016, 11:59 AM

I want to make a bargello, but the color selections have stopped me. I am color challenged.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Yes this! I think it will add that extra special. Go forward. Sofar your progress looks amazing.

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Hi dina,
I think the one you are concerned about is going to make this quilt! It may be slightly off to the eye right now, but that fabric keeps the colors from being too static. I always try and put something unexpected into my quilts. It makes the viewer have something to have that conversation in the mind over. It makes it interesting, in other words. If you check out the masters, they do the same thing.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Oh yum!!!! What a great stash of purples.

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
It really didn't take me long to select these fabrics because almost half of my stash is purples. (I have never counted my purples, but a quick estimate has me come up with about 75.) I did start this quilt idea with 30 and eliminated until I got the right 20... Then I lined them up from light to dark, then took a picture and looked at them in black and white. I thought I had them all correctly placed, value wise, and then let them sit a few days to see if I was still okay with them.

It wasn't until I started cutting my strip sets that I started questioning that one fabric....which I am now past, so all is good.

Just for fun, I took a picture just now of my purple stash. I have 5 rows of fabric, and 2 of them are purple. The 20 I am using in this quilt are not in this picture... I have been quilting for 6 years, and any time I find a purple I like, I buy it.

Dina
Old 10-01-2016, 02:14 PM

I think all of your colors blend so well. I do not see any color that really "shouts out". I think your colors are all good choices. Don't be too hard on yourself. We are all our own worse critics. Keep up with the progress and keep us posted.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 AM

I found the one that you said "shouts out", but only after you told me where to look. When you see it in the piece you have made up, it looks fine. As you said later, you looked at it in black and white, so it has the correct value. Your quilt will be beautiful. Can't wait for a picture.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:39 AM

I love it! It looks great. Do show us the finished quilt.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:27 AM

I feel the third and fourth help the flow. I think that as you get more of the design up, you will see them blend nicely. Your color combo is great and it is going to be a very beautiful quilt. Good job!
Old 10-02-2016, 07:13 AM

The one with a lot of blue? I see what you mean. It stands out. But I don't think that's necessarily bad. And if that's it in the part you've started on -- the third down after the paler lavenders -- then I think it looks fine....and, in fact, breaks up your other purples in a way that is dramatic and effective.