need new phone

Old 12-10-2016, 05:08 AM

We have Consumer Cellular. You can pick your own voice, data and messaging plans. You can change plans anytime you want and there are no contracts. We pay about $23 per month. We bought our Motorola phone for $100. This has worked great for us for years now.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 AM

We had straight talk from Walmart but used our IPhone. The people from Walmart worked with us for hours getting our current phone to work. They can be just great if you really let them know what you need. I am not a big fan of the Walmart corporation but the workers are great.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:31 AM

Glad this subject came up as next year I'll be looking for what I call a "real phone". Right now I have a tracfone for emergencies on the road. Otherwise its turned off till then or when my cable is out and I have to call in for service. Put a house phone in when my mother came to live with me but she's now living with my older sister so really don't need it plus most of the calls are telemarketers even though I'm on the "no call" list. Guess they don't care.

Anyway, I've been getting the 1 yr/double minutes plan as the triple minutes wasn't there back then, I have 3200 minutes and no way can I use up all those minutes before February when my contract runs out. Also Tracfone has a plan where you buy the 1st year with minutes and the 2nd year for half the price with no minutes and since I rarely use the phone this worked for me. I want to buy just 1 yr with double minutes come February, get rid of the house phone and then the following year or whenever my minutes run out, then get into a new plan with a decent phone that gives me unlimited talk/text only as I don't really need apps and the internet. So will be looking for a fairly cheap plan that costs about the same as what I'm paying now between the 2 phones I have........about $35/mo. I've talked with others near me to what they pay but still dumbfounded what to go with. Hopefully by then I'll have a better idea what to do. But I do know I'll be ridding myself of the house phone in February. May change cable companies too as they haven't been very realiable lately.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 AM

I have an LG TRACFONE that I purchased from HSN for around $88 and it came with 1400 minutes and 1400 texts good for 1 year. After the first year you purchase more minutes. It has a 5" screen and is a smart phone. I like this one for the price and quality.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:22 AM

My DH bought me a new Trac phone yesterday for 120.00 something that does everything. I just buy two sixty minute cards when I need them as I use it as a emergency phone for when I am away from home. I will put the internet on it where I can take and send pictures but that is about all I will use it for and it is so much cheaper than a contract.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:16 PM

I have a track phone from Wal Mart $10.00. I guess you can text with it, it is flip, but only use it for phoning home or DH to phone me and ask where I am and when I am coming home. It is $19.99 fir 240 (double 120) minutes and 90 days. I never use all the days before I run out of time. No desire to pay big money for phone and internet, money is too tight in old age.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:27 PM

I also have a Trac Phone from Walmart. It was around $30 but does have text phone & a few other apps that I don't use. I went to Walmart on a Sun AM & it was not busy. 3 of the emp. in elec. were trained on the phones they sell so were very helpful. Only problem was operator error. I couldn't answer calls & would have to return the calls. My old phone I tapped the green receiver, this one I need to swipe the screen.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:26 AM

First of all, I've had the Samsung 3 and now the 6S and love them, the 3 is still going. I also have tablets. The funny thing that most people don't know is that Samsung and Apple both get their batteries from the same place, go figure that one out. I don't think they'll sell the 7 since that's the one they had the problems with but there are others. I have Sprint and pay less than 60 for my cell, 20 for my house phone and 20 for my wifi on my tablet. So for me, that's a good deal.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:39 AM

Make sure you know what phones have service in your area if that's a problem for some. In our area some phones have trouble getting service (our daughter has trouble when she visits) but AT & T has good service, so that's what we stick to. This past summer we upgraded from flip phones (because mine was so old and died so completely we couldn't ever retrieve the stored phone numbers in it) and bought two prepaid phones. We pay $45/month each, which comes to $47.70 each with tax. We text, phone, it takes photos, everything. We get 3Gb a month storage, I think. If you use all your storage I'm told the phone just slows down on the internet, but I don't use it for all that and it's never happened to either of us.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all your responses. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Express 3 on sale and bought a $45.00 card for it (At&T service). So, it's just sitting here still in its box. Too scared to try it; waiting for someone to come over and help me with it. I want to keep my same number; is this possible. When I start to activate it will I be able too? I hate all this new tech stuff.