Vacuum sealer for food?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
I have owned a foodsaver brand model for about 4 years now. I was very excited when I bought it. We were boping to freeze garden produce and leftovers, among other things. Right after I bought it, we went to the farmer's market and bought abought 5 dozen ears of corn, hoping to freeze it. We cut the kernels off the cobs and tried to use the food saver to package it. It was then that we realized that the moisture from the food prevented the bags from sealing. This is the downside. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it. If anyone knows a method to vacuum seal foods with liquids, I'd love to hear it. I had high hopes for this gizmo. Also, like many of you, I use Mason jars to store things.
SewingSew: The newer models have another button for moisture foods. In my older machine, I folded up some paper towels the width of the opening and placed it just inside the opening of the bag to absorb some of the moisture to eliminate the 'non' sealing of the bag. It caused no harm to the food and the bags sealed nicely. Hope it works for you.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
In situations like this, I would freeze the item in ziplocks or on a sheet pan. After they are frozen, then I would put them into the vacuum bags and seal.
I actually did that, but there was still a moisture issue.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
Oh thank you I had never thought of that!!!!
I didn't know you could do that! Great tip!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:37 PM

Ok, now I have a few questions......moisture in bag like with corn....this could present a sealing problem? Could I par freeze on cookie sheet, then vacseal to prevent? Or how about putting a folded strip of paper towel on top of corn before sealing, then as moisture is being sucked up to top it is absorbed into paper towel, thus letting it make a tight seal? I was hoping this gadget would help me preserve fresh veggies to carry thru winter, like corn, tomatoes, berries,but now reading about moisture, I wonder....... Or why put something in a regular ziploc, then put in vac bag and seal....does it suck the air out of that little bag with the stuff in it within that sealable bag? I thought the purpose was to eliminate air?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:58 PM

Have had for a long time. Especially nice when to do fish and when the guys deer hunt and butcher I do not need to worry about freezer burn if they don't get the meat used quickly. NICE for sure. We still have a few packages of deer steaks and ground meat from last year and it is perfect.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:01 PM

I purchased some bags with a moisture block already in it, but prior to this I folded a paper towel and placed it near the top of the bag close to what would be the seal line. Works great for veggies and for meats that are moist.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

My son has the kind that sucks air out. He loves it. Says I should have one. Maybe. He says food doesn't get freezer burn and has saved them $$. He shops at Costco and freezes portions.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Ok, now I have a few questions......moisture in bag like with corn....this could present a sealing problem? Could I par freeze on cookie sheet, then vacseal to prevent? Or how about putting a folded strip of paper towel on top of corn before sealing, then as moisture is being sucked up to top it is absorbed into paper towel, thus letting it make a tight seal? I was hoping this gadget would help me preserve fresh veggies to carry thru winter, like corn, tomatoes, berries,but now reading about moisture, I wonder....... Or why put something in a regular ziploc, then put in vac bag and seal....does it suck the air out of that little bag with the stuff in it within that sealable bag? I thought the purpose was to eliminate air?
Gerry, I have tried putting a paper towel in the top of the bag, and it helps a lot, but about 35% of the time moisture still escapes.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:41 PM

I have learned so much from this thread. I have had my sealer for a number of years and love it. I will be trying out some of these new ideas. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 PM

No talk about sucking the air out of jars, and having the rubber seal of the lid "sealing" on to the glass top just like canning, only they are reusable. I seal up rice, sugar, cereals, beans, crackers. Basically any dry food except flour. It keeps bugs out for sure. My DH made me one 40 yrs ago, but I thought there was one on the market to seal food in jars.