Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why make quilting so hard? >

Why make quilting so hard?

Why make quilting so hard?

Old 01-05-2017, 08:00 PM

You are so right. I don't ever stress over a quilt. If I make a mistake, nobody but me knows about it unless it is a big boo boo & then I would fix it. I have never had a complaint when I gave a quilt. If you aren't having fun then it is time for a break.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:38 AM

wise words!
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 AM

When I go to quilt shows and see the exquisite quilts that require amazing detail I'm in awe. But I do find myself more drawn to the quilts that I feel I would actually enjoy making myself. When I was working, quilting was my stress relief and it was so much more rewarding to make a quilt that didn't require too much fussing. Every now and then I'll make something that requires more precision as a challenge but my quilts are meant to be used for whatever reason.

In the paper yesterday there was an advice column from someone who had made a quilt, gifted it to a relative, then was upset that she saw her relative laying on the couch covered by the quilt and her dog was laying next to her on the quilt. She considered the dog on this quilt as disrespectful and vowed to never give them another one. I just laughed because I hope that's how my quilts WILL be used.

Maybe this is a quilting personality thing. Isn't Jenny Doan so popular because she makes quilting fun and accessible to whoever wants to try one? Don't worry about the mistakes since most non-quilters wouldn't notice anyway.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Banned

My cat thinks my hand quilting frame is a hammock just for her.......
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Jenny has made quilting fun for many new quilters. It's a quilt.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:21 AM

Quilting should be fun....don't try to be perfect....ENJOY!!!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Finished is better than perfect
Hear, hear. I have never been one to do really fancy patterns, just doesn't float my boat.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wrylymax View Post
Maybe this is a quilting personality thing. Isn't Jenny Doan so popular because she makes quilting fun and accessible to whoever wants to try one? Don't worry about the mistakes since most non-quilters wouldn't notice anyway.

In a word,"yes".
Old 01-06-2017, 08:23 PM

Like Lynnie, when I started quilting it was just sewing to me. I wanted to make a pretty blanket, a project I could with me, like my crochet. I have a good eye to breaking down patterns to figure out how to make things so I couldn't quite understand the rush to take classes. But then the rotary cutter came out and I wanted to know the best way to use it. When I did take a hand quilting classes the instructor was walking by, saw my stitches and asked why was I taking the class and I said to see if there was a better way. When I took a class in paper piecing it was because I couldn't wrap my brain around it. It is a hobby for me. I make quilts for people that I want to make them for. And when people ask me if I can make them a quilt, I always say no. My daughters have asked me to make baby quilts for their friends from time to time, but all details are left up to me. For me, it is great fun to make baby/children quilts. I also like Halloween and Christmas quilts.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Like Lynnie, when I started quilting it was just sewing to me. I wanted to make a pretty blanket, a project I could with me, like my crochet. I have a good eye to breaking down patterns to figure out how to make things so I couldn't quite understand the rush to take classes. But then the rotary cutter came out and I wanted to know the best way to use it. When I did take a hand quilting classes the instructor was walking by, saw my stitches and asked why was I taking the class and I said to see if there was a better way. When I took a class in paper piecing it was because I couldn't wrap my brain around it. It is a hobby for me. I make quilts for people that I want to make them for. And when people ask me if I can make them a quilt, I always say no. My daughters have asked me to make baby quilts for their friends from time to time, but all details are left up to me. For me, it is great fun to make baby/children quilts. I also like Halloween and Christmas quilts.
I agree. I only quilt to suit ME, not to someone else's specs. If someone happens to love what I'm doing........well, they might get lucky.