Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Still learning >

Still learning

Still learning

Old 01-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by popover View Post
I hand quilt everything and finish about 3 bed-size quilts a year. How many do you think you need? Never could understand the rush.
I could only finish one queen size quilt every 3 to 4 years when I handquilted. I once kept track of one of my quilts and quit keeping track after 275 hours of quilting (and it still wasn't done!). I didn't track the amount of time it took me to piece it, baste it or mark it. Not near as long I am sure. I have way too many quilts I want to make in my lifetime so that is why I made the switch from hand to longarm quilting.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

One thing I forgot to mention is that your batting selection can make hand quilting much easier, or much harder. Warm and Natural is one of the hardest battings to hand quilt because it is all cotton (cotton creates drag on the needle) and it is needlepunched through scrim (the scrim creates an extra layer the needle has to push through). The easiest battings to hand quilt are wool and silk. Thin polyester is also very easy to hand quilt; puffy polyester not so much. A good starter batting for hand quilting if you don't want to use wool or all-polyester is Hobbs 80/20 batting. There is enough polyester in it to make hand quilting fairly easy compared to most all-cotton battings.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Pick the technique that feels comfortable for you. I think it is better to get the stitches equal in size rather than stitches per inch. As you stitch, you will get batter. I took a Cindy Blackburn class and this is her advise. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM

One more thing, try your thimble on a different finger. I put mine on my index finger instead of my middle finger. And try all different types also. Most of them are inexpensive. I have the Thimblelady thimble now, but I started w/a Clover leather one w/the metal disk, http://www.joann.com/clover-leather-...e/3568417.html. I much prefer pushing w/my finger pad instead of the tip of my finger.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:09 AM

Don't fret over how small your stitches are for now. That will come with practice. My standard is trying to make them consistent size. Too, I didn't learn to use a thimble when I began sewing and still don't like one. I can't tell where the needle really is. I use my thumbnail for pushing away from me but like the Clover leather thimble with the "coin" in it if pushing the needle toward me. I feel I have more control of the needle with it than with other more traditional thimbles.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
We used to have an active member here from Germany (borntohandquilt). that did amazing hand quilting doing only stitch at a time. She also did not use a thimble. Unfortunately she has not participated on the board for a very long time. Here is a link to just one of her posts where she described how she quilted with lots of pictures:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t142087.html

and here is a link to one of her completed quilts.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t206709.html

So the purpose of this response is to assure you there is no right or wrong way to hand quilt. We all do what is most comfortable and works best for us.
Thanks for the links, the quilting is gorgeous.
bkay
Old 01-12-2017, 06:39 AM

As you are just started to hand quilt, as you work, lay a ruler down and take a picture but don't look at it. Just mentally put it away. Next year do it again with your most current project and compare to see how much you have improved. As I am quilting, I'm thinking smaller, smaller but when I compare my "ruler" pictures, even I can see the difference.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:37 AM

I fully understand the batting issue. I will be doing either hobbs 80/20 or poly for this baby quilt. I have tried my thimble on every finger except my pinky lol. I will be looking into other types of thimbles down the road. I have been doing some practicing each day and will continue until I am ready to hand quilt this next project. By then, I should have tons of practice and the stitching should be good. I don't plan on whipping the top out in a speedy fashion. Won't even be starting it until next week.

I watched a video from craftsy about perle cotton quilting. She said this little tip that I have not read or heard yet " how far the needle goes through the back is how big the stitches will be". I found this interesting. I am not sure if it pertains to just perle cotton or not . I really don't see how the type of thread would affect this saying. She even mentioned up to 1/4" stitches is fine as you want to work on consistency. in time the stitches will get smaller.So, I did find those interesting. For a beginner like myself, I would be happy if I could get all my stitches 1/4" in length. Haven't tried to yet, but there is always tomorrow. I may even take a moment or two and mark out 1/4" dots and see how close I get.

I learn in a unique way. So, sometimes the visual I have to mark where others can just eye ball it. I know in time I will be eye balling measurements like all you excellent quilters. But I am happy. I really enjoyed my practice time this morning. Even though I bent a needle I am getting better at rocking the needle. 1/2 of my practice stitches were very very close to the same size.

You all have been a great help and very supportive. Thank you and have a great quilting day.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by dottiemae View Post
...I have tried my thimble on every finger except my pinky lol. I will be looking into other types of thimbles down the road...
This is the only thimble that ever worked for me:

https://www.amazon.com/Clover-6027-P...ywords=thimble
Old 01-12-2017, 08:15 AM

My favorite hand quilting needle is the Hiroshima Tulip between needle. They never bend and are very sharp. They are more expensive, but because of the quality and hand done manufacturing process, they last a long time. I have just passed the halfway point on my current quilt and am still using the same needle. In the beginning, I Could only get these needles on Amazon, but now my local quilt store is carrying them. I have tried every other needle out there and the Hiroshima Tulip is the very best--no comparison. Because the eye is hand done and not stamped, there are no sharp edges, so the thread does not shred or fray. They are also easier to thread. I can't sing the praises of this needle for hand quilting enough.