Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions About Wool Applique >

Questions About Wool Applique

Questions About Wool Applique

Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Thought I would add a photo of my first block - still have more embroidery to do on it but it is coming along nicely. The colors are much nicer in real life and the black background (woolies flannel) is also darker and less "tweedy" looking. I am very happy with it so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wool block.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	736.0 KB
ID:	569277  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:54 PM
KLO

Ann Marie,

Oh how wonderful! It looks like you have done a great job on this block so far. It makes me wish I were in your guild to take part in this BOM. I hope you will keep posting photos as you finish each block month by month. I for one will stay turned to see them all. I am hoping to start the free BOM from Buttermilk Basin. I have all the patterns from last year's blocks and am getting the ones from this year also. My problem always seems to be finding decent wool. Hopefully when I go to a quilt show this month, there will be a vendor who carries wool. Keep up the good work! It has turned out great! Hope you are enjoying it now also.

PS: I really like your Roger Caras quote. So very true!
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM

I did not know you can use 12 wt on a sewing machine (through a tension controller). Do you need a size 18 needle? Can you machine stitch with pearl cotton ( 5wt, 8wt 0r 12 wt), or is that for hand stitching only?
Old 03-03-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Ann Marie,

Oh how wonderful! It looks like you have done a great job on this block so far. It makes me wish I were in your guild to take part in this BOM. I hope you will keep posting photos as you finish each block month by month. I for one will stay turned to see them all. I am hoping to start the free BOM from Buttermilk Basin. I have all the patterns from last year's blocks and am getting the ones from this year also. My problem always seems to be finding decent wool. Hopefully when I go to a quilt show this month, there will be a vendor who carries wool. Keep up the good work! It has turned out great! Hope you are enjoying it now also.

PS: I really like your Roger Caras quote. So very true!
Like I mentioned in the beginning, this is my first time working with wool. I found almost all my wool fabric online and have been very happy with the places I have bought it from - but it is expensive. I am getting carried away with buying different colors - lol. As for the quote by Roger Caras - it is definitely true! I have loved all my dogs and they will always have a place in my heart (however, the one I have now, in the photo, is a real "trial" - lol)
Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I did not know you can use 12 wt on a sewing machine (through a tension controller). Do you need a size 18 needle? Can you machine stitch with pearl cotton ( 5wt, 8wt 0r 12 wt), or is that for hand stitching only?
I am doing all my outline stitching by hand and don't know the answer to your questions
Old 03-03-2017, 11:17 AM

Default First Block of Summertime Sampler

Here is my finished first block for this sampler - I am really enjoying working with wool. However, now I keep looking and buying more colors of it - lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Block 1 finished.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	734.6 KB
ID:	569311  
Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Ann Marie O View Post
Like I mentioned in the beginning, this is my first time working with wool. I found almost all my wool fabric online and have been very happy with the places I have bought it from - but it is expensive. I am getting carried away with buying different colors - lol. As for the quote by Roger Caras - it is definitely true! I have loved all my dogs and they will always have a place in my heart (however, the one I have now, in the photo, is a real "trial" - lol)

Ha, ha, I too have a current dog that is testing my will to keep her. Thankfully we do have another dog that is a real people dog and a blue heeler mix so she gets a lot of compliments. However for several years she had seizures. I am hoping that they are now under control with medication but we are always wondering if she will start up again. The other one is a terrier/beagle mix and I will never have another terrier. She is lucky we are dog people!

Hey, I warned you about starting applique with wool! It is addictive and can get expensive as you mentionedbut then so is quilting. And yep, now you want every color under the sun. I wonder if there is an organization called WA (woolies anonymous). We could join!
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Ha, ha, I too have a current dog that is testing my will to keep her. Thankfully we do have another dog that is a real people dog and a blue heeler mix so she gets a lot of compliments. However for several years she had seizures. I am hoping that they are now under control with medication but we are always wondering if she will start up again. The other one is a terrier/beagle mix and I will never have another terrier. She is lucky we are dog people!

Hey, I warned you about starting applique with wool! It is addictive and can get expensive as you mentionedbut then so is quilting. And yep, now you want every color under the sun. I wonder if there is an organization called WA (woolies anonymous). We could join!
We could always start a club of Woolies Anon - lol. As for my dog, he is my 4th cocka-poo and the only one who has been a problem - as much as I love him - he drives me crazy at time - thought he would get better - and he has a little - but I don't think he will ever be "good" like my other 3 - lol
Old 05-27-2018, 04:38 AM

What size needle do you use for wool applique?
Old 05-27-2018, 01:42 PM

If you find a wool you like at a good price and you can get it in white, cream or some other light, neutral color, you might want to try dyeing
your own. Wool is very easy to dye.