Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I'm smitten - new treadle w/ Singer 66 >

I'm smitten - new treadle w/ Singer 66

I'm smitten - new treadle w/ Singer 66

Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 PM

Default I'm smitten - new treadle w/ Singer 66

So this past weekend I picked up a treadle base complete with a Singer 66 which I found locally on craigslist. I've already learned so much, like I should have removed the machine head from the base before loading into the back of my car. And it would have helped if we loaded it with the drawers facing up rather than down. I probably should have wrapped the whole thing in the blanket that I left by my front door. That being said, I now have it all set up in my family room so I can treadle while enjoying the company of my pugs. Oh, I also learned where to get a new belt and bobbins for the machine. And I printed the manual I found at http://web.archive.org/web/201606162...machine_manual And read lots of the post on the Vintage board here, especially the pinned ones. And I got a free sewing chair off of freecycle. Here's hoping everything works out.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 AM

Photos please!!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:15 AM

One of my "learned the hard way" things was to unload all the accessories before I tip a cabinet over.

Congrats. 66 is a great machine. If you get the head oiled up and smooth. It should capable of spinning 3 revolutions from a quick spin of the hand wheel. (Belt disconnected.)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:05 PM

I hope you love yours as much as I love mine! When oiling your machine don't forget to oil the irons everywhere there is movement. The irons is the portion underneath. I have found, if on mine, when I'm sewing and begin getting stitches that aren't perfect I don't turn the tension knob on the head, cleaning my bobbin area of lint has always fixed my stitches.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 PM

Photo is below, finally... thought I had some saved from craigslist but couldn't find electronic copies. I got all my supplies today and started cleaning her up. That PB blaster is some awesome stuff! I should have taken before photos of the guts and underside but didn't think of it until I was heavy into cleaning. And btw, I'm not the one who silvered the decals, lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569582[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 66 2017.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	569582  
Old 03-09-2017, 07:47 AM

There is nothing as sturdy and hard working as an old Singer 66. I think they must be totally indestructible. That is what I put in my first treadle cabinet and it cost me a whole $23 plus shipping.