Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Guess what this vintage machine is! >

Guess what this vintage machine is!

Guess what this vintage machine is!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 AM

Default Red light

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Is that a red light on the nose? That makes me think White or Universal, but I really have no idea!

Yes it does have that sorry I didn't understand before lol [ATTACH=CONFIG]571051[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]571052[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6131.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	571051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6136.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	1,009.3 KB
ID:	571052  
Old 04-05-2017, 08:35 AM

I thought I replied but don't see that nor the comment I replied to but here it is. It's not an uncommon (distributor badge) but it's the model and features that are unique and so far not seen anywhere I can find. Pop up circular bobbin cover, a "fotomagic" badge not the common " fotomatic", a JA-5 also not seen on the JA list available at vintage Japanese sewing enthusiasts group. It has a right-middle-left needle position knob and a nearby lever I can't quite figure out what it does, one time it seemed to increase the right stitch function but I couldn't replicate it, it has a knob labeled stitch regulator on the right side which appeared to move the feed dogs forward and back incrementally, so stitch length I'm guessing....additionally it has a stitch width regulator knob and a lever which seems to extend the stitch width available up to .2 in. Feed dog drop push button winding and disengage lever, and a small red semicircle the rotates around as you stitch perhaps some sort of stitch counter? There is also a flip switch I can't figure out as it only let me flip it once and I don't want to force anything since no manual.

Last edited by Stitch Craft; 04-05-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571053[/ATTACH]its a Morse! No patent he filed looks like this though. And I found two for stitch plates he patented... both square

Last edited by Stitch Craft; 04-05-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-05-2017, 08:58 AM

Thanks for playing along, I really learned so much researching this baby, she is clean inside and has red nail polish marked oiling points like someone wanted to care for her correctly, although she is missing a knob sticker and has some minor scratches she is pretty and not a bit of corrosion or gunk. I did purchase it second hand three or more years ago here in Florida ( curiously Philip S. Morse retired and died in Florida 2002 I read) I was scared to rewire it as the cord was shredded from being installed (incorrectly) in its table making it pinch the cord when set upright and eventually it cut through the motor power cord. Finally I decided I had the skills to rewire this baby and boy am I proud of her, I'll be posting a video of her sewing when the grandson is not here.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM

I thought Morse a few times, but since you said it was unique and rare, I went a different direction. Pretty cool machine.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Thank you for sharing this unique machine.
Does the badge have a crown shape somewhere?
Also, I was wondering what the wheel shape doo-flippy under the hand wheel was for.
I am also curious if there is a model number on the back pillar under the motor. It probably wouldn't help much, but I know I found a number there on one of my Japanese machines.

I also like the swing out spool pin for double needle sewing.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

P.S. the picture in post #33 isn't showing up

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 04-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 AM

That is a really cool looking machine. Is it jadite in color?
Old 04-12-2017, 05:57 AM

The photo in post #33 is not showing up. It's the one that shows a photo of the badge. So we still haven't seen the "Morse" badge.
bkay
Old 04-14-2017, 06:01 PM

More pictures please. The one in post 33 did not show up.

I, for one, would like to see a picture of the hand wheel end.

I'm guessing you probably figured out that it is probably made in 1961. Is the number 1971 on the machine?

What JA and/or JC number is/are on your machine?

What were the Morse patents you found?

It took a long time to find again. I thought I had saved the link to the ad for the Foto-magic and a free typewriter, but that one didn't work. I did find it again!

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

It is a beauty.