Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Clover Chaco Liner >

Clover Chaco Liner

Clover Chaco Liner

Old 06-17-2017, 02:33 PM

susan, do you make quilts with 'from the store' finish, or are you in the prewashers group?

I am quilting as I go my 365 challenge quilt blocks, and have used yellow, pink, and blue Clover Chaco Liner several dozen times now and the dust brushes off with all colors. I give it a scrub with leftover batting.

so that is why the question about prewashing, if maybe the problem is the fabric and not the liner?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
susan, do you make quilts with 'from the store' finish, or are you in the prewashers group?

I am quilting as I go my 365 challenge quilt blocks, and have used yellow, pink, and blue Clover Chaco Liner several dozen times now and the dust brushes off with all colors. I give it a scrub with leftover batting.

so that is why the question about prewashing, if maybe the problem is the fabric and not the liner?
Kalama,
This particular fabric I didn't pre-wash (I usually do pre-wash all fabric). But I thought it strange that not only the white fabric, but the blue and orange fabrics also retained the Chaco liner as well. I'm waiting to hear back from Clover as to what I should try next.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:30 PM

I don't know about the yellow Chaco liner but I've used Fons & Porter's pencil liner and I used it lightly so as not to 'embed' (if it were possible) the pencil marking. But I think those are a bit expensive and then I found water soluable drawing pencils and they too wash out nicely....again I don't press too hard with the pencil.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:46 PM

I had the same bad experience with Chaco liners. The yellow was the worst, but the gray/silver and the red were bad too. I used them to make flannel rag quilts for my grandsons and NONE of the lines came out and the quilts were ruined! I pre-washed all of the fabrics AND I tried to brush it off before I washed the quilts. I was so disgusted...those markers aren't cheap, either! Threw them all away.

I now use the Crayola ultra-clean markers and have never had a problem with them - they always wash completely out, even after I've ironed over them.

I'm so sorry about your quilt - I know firsthand how discouraging it is.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:49 AM

I have been told that the Chaco liner imbeds the powder into the fabric and makes it difficult or impossible to remove. I would never use the yellow or blue on a quilt regardless of what the manufacturers say. My theory is there is too much color pigment in the chalk. I once tested one of the yellow chalk marking pencils on white and I couldn't bleach the color out.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Try Sew Clean. Your quilt shop can order it from Checkers Supply.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:30 AM
bj

I bought a product at the Dollar Store called Totally Awesome that got red permanent marker out of white carpet. I've also used it to get ink and grass stains out of clothing. It might work. You might make some chalk lines on a scrap and test it first. I hope you can get the yellow out of your quilt.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I learned from my neighbor to place the quilt on couple of laundry baskets in the bath tub, backing side up. You can also do this outside. Take the shower hose and spray with water (warm to cool). By doing it on the backing side, you are forcing the chalk outwards the way it came in. She also prewashes and states she never used the yellow again. The problem is with the post washing the chalk and fabric work like a bit of caking anddoesn't want to come out. If it is forced out the way it was applied it just works better than trying to force it through a couple more layers and often those other layers won't allow it to pass through.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 AM

Oh man, I had the exact experience with the blue chalk. The only good thing was that it was a wallhanging and I ended up using a decorative trim on top of it. I still use chalk, but only for drawing diagonal seam lines on ½ square triangles. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:27 PM

Still thinking about your problem Susan. I was using my Chaco Liner this morning, blue this time on lights and yellows.
Which got me to thinking...I've been quilting since I was about 8 if we want to be technical so many of my every day tools are 'mature'. I think I bought my Chaco Liners in the 90's. Of course they last forever, but I do have back up chalk for refills.
which make me wonder how old yours is. Much as we hate it when products change.

To be sure we are on the same page, Clover has Chalk "lead" style pens, and some patties that look like the last of a bar of soap. Mine look like the old round bic lighters, both round and flat, with lids. They have a little spoked wheel that runs across the fabric.

and I'm thinking I've read that not all colors of the Pounce Chalk pads are listed as washable?

Anyway, I'm hoping for great success for your project. And I would think Any Clover product would have been tested many different ways