Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin for quilt backing >

log cabin for quilt backing

log cabin for quilt backing

Old 07-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

You might consider something asymetrical so that if the backing does not line up perfectly - your backing will still look "intentional" -

I am attaching an illustration of what I mean - -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	courthouse1 1.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	860.6 KB
ID:	575968  
Old 07-07-2017, 02:13 AM

I was going to suggest Court House steps, too, but I really like that asymmetrical design. Good ideas for using up odd stash!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 AM

Daffy Daphne....love your log cabin bench pad! We have an Amish made church pew that has a seat that opens for hidden storage in the foyer, now I'm thinking about a pad for that seat!!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 AM

The way I would do it is to start with a rectangle instead of a square center for the log cabin block. That way it would more evenly take up the quilt back. I wouldn't make the block as big as the backing though. I'd put an outside border of one color fabric to frame the log cabin block to make it the size I wanted.

I've drawn an example on graph paper to illustrate what I mean. My imaginary quilt top measures 84" x 92." I want an extra four inches on each side so my quilt back should measure 92" x 100."

I've started my log cabin block center with a 8" x 12" rectangle. I keep adding logs on the sides that measure 8" wide. The logs on the top and bottom measure 12" high. My finished log cabin block measures 64" x 84." I add side border fabric that is 14" wide and top/bottom border fabric that is 8" high. That would make the backing the 92" x 100" size that I wanted.

Name:	Log Cabin Backing.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	576019  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Nice log cabin rectangle center block.

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
To make a rectangular log cabin, you just need to make your central "square" a rectangle, similar to this cushion I made for our deacon's bench:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575945[/ATTACH]

I think I would figure out the width/length ratio of the size quilt back, and use that same ratio for the central piece, and then divide the remainder by the number of logs I wanted to add.

Daffy
Old 07-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ccthomas View Post
Nice log cabin rectangle center block.
Gorgeous seat cushion.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:40 PM

Thank you ladies for the drawings, helps me out so much and I really like all the ideas. I need to see how much of the Christmas fabric I have left over and that will help me decide how to proceed. Or would it be really dumb to use totally different fabrics for the back so that it becomes a reversible quilt, maybe Fall or Spring colors, so it can be used longer?

BTW, CCThomas I really like the bench and pad also, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Thank you ladies for the drawings, helps me out so much and I really like all the ideas. I need to see how much of the Christmas fabric I have left over and that will help me decide how to proceed. Or would it be really dumb to use totally different fabrics for the back so that it becomes a reversible quilt, maybe Fall or Spring colors, so it can be used longer?

BTW, CCThomas I really like the bench and pad also, thanks for sharing.
Makes sense to me.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Thank you for the nice comments on my deacon's bench cushion. I have to share that it went through a minor rehabilitation a few years ago. DH accidentally left an uncapped pen on it, and somehow a book landed on top of the pen, forcing the point into the cushion. Washing didn't take the ink out, and I thought it was ruined!

The repair was akin to altering clothing, which I loathe, but I gritted my teeth and did it. These are the pieces of fabric and batting I took out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576047[/ATTACH]

Daffy

Name:	cushionstain.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	576047  
Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Maureen, you read correctly big and graphic one block. I need to remeasure the tops because I wrote it down somewhere that I would be sure to find again...

Not sending these to the LA, will have to do it myself.

So, I will post back when I get measurements and see what I come up with.

Thanks.
You could do one big log cabin Block, set it on point and then instead of add triangles to fill out the corners, use solid logs to extend to the length you need. Or if that doesn't work on the top and bottom, add strips top and bottom