Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017 >

Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017

Virtual Quilitng Weekend--September 1-4, 2017

Old 09-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Nice Red Eye - I really love that decal pattern and have two, one hand crank and one treadle. But then I love most vintage sewing machines.

I am at an impasse with the first quilt top I was working on. The fabric I planned for the second border looks great with the gold and burgundy, but not with the quilt. Plan on making a trip to town later this afternoon to look for something different. We have a fabric outlet store that is open Sunday afternoon.

Decided today would be a good binding day. I seem to get in a groove and get a bunch of tops done, then get a bunch quilted, so now I have a bunch to bind.

Most of these have black bindings because I put black thread on the LA to finish the 365 day quilt, and then pulled several other tops out that also used black thread. I think I may be done with black for a while . . .

Had to clean the cat hair off first - Stained Glass, small Twister, lap size black Toile, and Cool Cats (love that one).

Jewel Box and the 365 Day Block challenge from last year.

I don't have binding figured out for the last one, but think I'll use a light cream. The rest have black binding. I've been trying hard to cut the binding as I finish the floppy, since I may not get to quilting it for months.

I moved my monster serge out of the way so I have plenty of room to move the quilts around as I sew on the binding. I do it all by machine, and can get most done in about an hour start to finish. I know lots of people enjoy hand binding, but I'm not one of them. I if had to hand bind, I would not make quilts.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 AM

Progress Report Sunday morning: I finished the quilting on the churn dashes last night AND I sewed up my crumbs! I also watched a pre-recorded Quilt Cam by Bonnie Hunter. She 'webbed' a quilt! (A technique for sewing the top together) Awesome! I've never done it that way but can't wait to try it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cJQBZqEw0I Anyone else tried this?

Here's my crumbs and a few chunks:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579986[/ATTACH]

Today is loading a modern quilt with goofy cow fabric on my frame and some piecing of my crumbs and maybe a back or 2.

(Oh...and I need to cook a little too. LOL!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_173435 small.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	579986  
Old 09-03-2017, 08:35 AM

Best laid plans.... Didn't get any sewing done yesterday it took me too long to process this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579987[/ATTACH]
Ended up with 12 pints of tomatoes.

The wedding was nice yesterday, was great seeing friends at something other than Scottish events. Wedding was a unique mix of Scottish, East Indian and American. First time to be entertained at a wedding by a belly dancer! Stayed at the hotel last night but was awakened by a fire alarm at 6:30 AM so we got back home earlier than expected. So I am working on Noah's quilt now, sewing the borders and getting the back pieced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579988[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow it will probably be the GFG. Had to frog stitch the bottom corner where I was bringing the green at an angle, I don't like it so will change and continue on with something different.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579989[/ATTACH]

Keep the pictures coming!

Name:	IMAG1734e.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	579987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1661e.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	579988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1670e.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	579989  
Old 09-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579925[/ATTACH]Here's what I'm working on. The Summer Picnic block of the week. There are places in this one that are CORRECT! I think I'm catching on, but still find that I hurry too much and distort blocks with my pressing. Still have one block to make: Broken dishes. Sashing is coming along.
Battle Axe, this is great! Almost finished, too. Nice work!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Virtual quilting weekend

Haven't posted on this site for awhile. I am finishing some burp pads for a shower. Just used my binding machine (Christmas present from two years ago). Kind of fun. Baby quilt for same shower. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

Dedemac, do not feel bad that you worked with food. I promised Jim chocolate chip cookies today. Just got them done. Now back to my little vase wall hangings. I just finished one last night and started two more. I love these weekends. I get motivated by knowing that others are with me, even if you are not in the same room.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 AM

LOL! I'm on the hook for Lemon pie with my DH.

I'm not doing much processing this year, still have lots left from last year. I love canning food and have a summer kitchen in one corner of the shed my LA is in.

I got taken out with a migraine for several hours, but feel good enough to head back to the sewing machine. Got one quilt bound so on to the next one.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 AM

Glad you're feeling better Macybaby.

I spent the morning sorting beads to put on the collaborative quilt from last VQW, hand stitched some on and decided that they didn't really add anything, so I took them back off. Also decided not to unsew that area that I wasn't happy with. So now I just have to decide whether I want to do a traditional binding and hanging sleeve and call it done, or do I want to make some stretcher bars for it and mount it on those---decisions, decisions. I still haven't figured out which of my many UFOs to try and finish for September...

Rob
Old 09-03-2017, 11:08 AM

Since today is race day (watching 2 car races ) I'll be spending all my sewing time slow stitching in my comfy spot on my sofa. So my projects today will be hand quilting and applique baskets. Here's some of the cobblestone blocks that I worked on yesterday.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579993[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_0487.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	579993  
Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Wow, every quilter is so busy already! Macybaby, I love your Irish chain quilt!!

No quilting for me this weekend as..... My Baby Girl was born this morning!!!! I'll try to post a picture of her in the personal announcement section.
Congratulations on your baby girl! Best wishes to you and your family!