Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Styles/Colors For a Couple of Gift Quilts? >

Which Styles/Colors For a Couple of Gift Quilts?

Which Styles/Colors For a Couple of Gift Quilts?

Old 10-17-2017, 05:22 PM

Most men, including my husband, prefer blue.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:27 PM

The one in Brown's would be great for any man.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:34 PM

Call the office and ask the office ladies what colors they like. The office ladies always know everything, lol. Also, they may have gone to their houses for holiday parties and the like, so they would know what colors they used before. Spies, my friend, you need spies.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 AM

I agree with "themadpatter" - his assistants either already know or they can ask discretely. That being said, I made a boxed squares in brights and it looks really blah! Yours has depth, great color coordination, and is beautiful.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
Boston....love both those quilts. Were the quilts made from coordinated packs of squares? If so, I would like to know the names.... if you would be so kind. I am not a batik lover but that bright quilt is gorgeous.
Thank you Anne, and others. I have made Boxed Squares at least twelve times. I have made with all batiks, all prints and mixed. I just go to my stash and start looking. I know that others have made this pattern using coordinated fabrics and they came out great. It sure makes it easier for a person who might be a little shy about striking out on her own. Get out your favorite fabrics and see what looks good next to each other. You will have a blast.

By the way the multi-colored one actually is a bit darker than what the picture is showing.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I find it funny that the original post just said dentist and everyone assumed they were men. LOL!

I think any design or color would be appreciated and enjoyed. That is a very generous gift of time and money.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:20 AM

Since they have lost their homes, it's difficult to know what the new places will be. I'd go with neutrals and you can't go wrong with earth tones. Of the 2 shown, I'd go with the second one. Very pretty and would blend with any decor.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Call the office and ask the office ladies what colors they like. The office ladies always know everything, lol. Also, they may have gone to their houses for holiday parties and the like, so they would know what colors they used before. Spies, my friend, you need spies.
great idea and so great of you to do this.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM

Hi again everyone...thanks so much for all of your comments. They are all very helpful. Boston1954, I love both of those quilts. I may steal the pattern too. It would be a quick pattern to make up.

I did make one quilt top, make up of hexis and batiks...it turned out pretty wild...maybe a little too wild for my male dentists. I may just donate this one to the Linus Project. Thousands of people lost their homes, so I'm sure they will find a recipient.

Calling the receptionists is a great idea! My other worry is that perhaps someone else in the office has lost their home too that I don't know about. The office is in Ukiah, CA...right in between the major fires and a lot of people commute to work there from outside the town. It would be terrible to give the dentists quilts, only to find out the hygienist also lost his or her home too. I don't want to exclude anyone.

As for the fires themselves...they are just about out and people are returning to their homes, if they still have one. It started raining last night and is pouring down as I write this. Yeah! That's wonderful news for the very brave, fantastic firefighters...they are all gods and goddesses in my book.

~ C
Old 10-22-2017, 07:42 PM

I would go with various shades of grey with white centers....very neutral and currently a very popular "color of choice" in room decor.