Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dancing rulers! >

Dancing rulers!

Dancing rulers!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I have replaced all my basic rulers with Quilter's Select rulers. These rulers are non slip. I use the medical tape for all my other rulers, even the Creative Grids rulers.
When someone borrows my QS ruler they say Where did you get this? I want one!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have replaced all my basic rulers with Quilter's Select rulers. These rulers are non slip. I use the medical tape for all my other rulers, even the Creative Grids rulers.
When someone borrows my QS ruler they say Where did you get this? I want one!
I'm right with you. I've gradually been buying Quilter's Select rulers and they are the best for me. Yes, these rulers are non slip.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 PM

I dab the underside of my rulers with clear nail polish, then sprinkle with table salt.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM

I recently happened to see a video in which Pat Speth demonstrates using pieces of the rubbery shelf liner that you can usually get at dollar stores to keep her rulers from sliding.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4042cAxo5aY I tried it and it works extremely well.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:39 AM

Go to Home Depot they have a clear spray adhesive that you spray on your rulers....Rust-Oleum LeakSeal it is a flexible rubber coating.....someone was selling rulers with this at a quilt show and we went to Home Depot and found this...and it works....it makes the rulers a little frosted
Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 AM

Many years ago, I took some double sided scotch tape, put it on the back of sandpaper, then punched holes in the sandpaper and tape...they were small, attached them to the back side of my rulers and it has
stood up probably for the last 15 years
Old 02-23-2018, 07:48 AM

I bought mine on Amazon. Great Planes 150 grit on a small roll, under $10. Yes, just a small little square is all that is needed, several areas on ruler. Doesn't interfere with ruler marks.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaMS View Post
Finally, I solved the dilemma of my long ruler dancing across my fabric while trying to cut long strips. I had purchased and was using the Invisigrip by Omnigrid...not impressed. Years ago my father-in-law gave me some sandpaper that is sticky on the back. Works like a dream. The only problem is that you can't see thru it, so I just cut it into small squares and place it randomly on the ruler. I don't know what it cost, but it is probably cheaper than the Invisigrip I had purchased.

The only problem I am having now is that it grips too good...no more sliding the ruler around on the fabric. I have to pick it up and place it where I want it, but guess what? I have true straight cuts.
Check out Jordan Fabrics YouTubes. The Jordan’s use a “5# weight” on the end of the ruler while cutting. I already had a 2# weigh and tried this. Works great! Also great YouTubes re making quilts.

Ellen
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM

I was watching a tutorial for cutting strips and the gal used her hand weight from exercise, the mini plastic covered dumbbell type, to hold down her ruler and it seemed to work well. I haven't tried it but for her in a number of her video tuts I see her using it.

I just posted my comment and it is a repeat of the comment just previous to mine..... great minds and all of that.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:47 PM

I also started using my 4 lb weight on the end of my ruler when making long cuts. In between cuts I do a few curls or rows with the weight, so I get a small amount of exercise while cutting😉