Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué? >

Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué?

Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué?

Old 03-29-2018, 01:11 AM

Thank you, all, for your thoughtful responses! Peggi, your ladder stitch is perfect! I am trying to improve my new-found ladder stitch on my current binding, but I can see how it would be difficult to use on curved or small appliqué pieces. Looks like I just need to get better with my appliqué stitch... practice makes perfect, right? ;-)
Old 03-29-2018, 01:44 AM

RGAY, thank you for pointing out the spot on the video. I will have to try that on my applique project.
Peckish you do beautiful work. Someday when my stitching grows up it might look like yours .
Old 03-29-2018, 04:15 AM

I'm with you Peckish- the ladder stitch is the best. I have nearly finished my whole Millifiori quilt with that stitch and it's all I use now!
Old 03-29-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
The ladder stitch is what I use for EPP and I love it - nobody ever sees my stitches. I wish more "professional" quilters would teach this method instead of that awful whip stitch.

Here is a diagram showing clearly how to do the ladder stitch.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...aBDWkQ9QEIKzAA
Great illustrations. Thank you for posting.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:52 AM

Location: Upper East Tennessee in the Blue Ridge Mountain Foothills
Default Invisible/Ladder Stitch for Circles

Originally Posted by Innov8R View Post
I bought Invisible Applique by Ami Simms to get me started in applique. She uses the ladder stitch. I pull it off pretty well on the long straight seams but have not mastered it on circles. The stitches I do correctly with it don't show.

I use the ladder stitch for EVERYTHING - piecing, appliques - you name it. I actually find it to be the STRONGEST hand stitch out there. I learned it at my grandmother's knees! According to her (and her advice has proved to be right!) - there are TWO keys to mastery:

One - your stitches need to be small - no bigger than 2X the width of the shaft of your needle. Two - when you insert the needle - your approach needs to be perpendicular to the line you are following and when you pull the thread - again perpendicular - NOT to the side as with a running stitch. This is especially important on circles - keeps everything "round" and prevents the circle from shifting.

Also - when I applique I usually draw the pattern on my background as well as on the applique piece (or if I'm using ironed on freezer paper on the background - I remove it only as I go. That way the shape/placement retains it's integrity!

Have Fun!
Old 03-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa in TN View Post
One - your stitches need to be small - no bigger than 2X the width of the shaft of your needle. Two - when you insert the needle - your approach needs to be perpendicular to the line you are following and when you pull the thread - again perpendicular - NOT to the side as with a running stitch.
I whole-heartedly agree with the statement about stitches needing to be perpendicular. If they're slanted or off a little, you'll see the stitches. They'll look very much like the whip stitch. My ladder stitches are quite a bit larger than 2x the width of my needle, though.