Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué? >

Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué?

Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué?

Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 AM

Default Ladder stitch for needle turn appliqué?

I have just discovered the ladder stitch for attaching a binding!!! It is amazing how the stitches are invisible. I am grateful to the quilter on this forum who posted the binding video that explained the stitch!!! Don't know where this stitch has been all of my quilting life! ;-)

I am wondering if anyone who needle turn appliqués by hand has ever used the ladder stitch instead of the typical appliqué stitch and what successes and challenges you experienced!

Thanks to this forum, I continue to learn and improve as a quilter! All are much appreciated!
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 AM

I don't needle turn yet(on my list) but when I do, I plan on using the ladder stitch, I'm also going to use the ladder stitch to do some EPP(one of these days). LOL
Old 03-27-2018, 04:45 AM

I missed that posting. Would someone kindly direct me to the link for the video. Many thanks.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:59 AM

I missed that post as well and I have tried a few searches without luck. I would really appreciate the link too.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:09 AM

Its the sharon schamber's perfect glue binding video.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 AM

I think, if you really think about it, the ladder stitch is pretty much the same as the applique stitch, but with the app. Stitch, you take a tiny bite out of the applique, and a bit more out of the background..... I have used the ladder stitch on epp, but prefer to use the side by side whip stitch.......
Old 03-27-2018, 10:50 AM

The ladder stitch is what I use for EPP and I love it - nobody ever sees my stitches. I wish more "professional" quilters would teach this method instead of that awful whip stitch.

Here is a diagram showing clearly how to do the ladder stitch.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...aBDWkQ9QEIKzAA
Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

I love the ladder stitch and use it all the time for binding, applique and EPP. I first started using it when doing EPP and love he look of it. Glad you discovered it too.
peace
Old 03-27-2018, 05:14 PM

Well - a long time ago I was taught the ladder stitch for,appliqué - I sweated bullets just doing 4 small basket handles and ended up hating appliqué. Forward a few years when I signed up for a year-long Baltimore appliqué class - why? I have no idea - but from the first lesson I learned that the stitch I had been using forever to hel clothing was actually the tack stitch (I know it was wrong for hems, etc.). So the tack stitch is what I do for hand appliqué, and bindings. The ladder stitch looks great but I just dint seem to be able to do it properly. If the ladder stitch works for yiu that is super - wish I could manage it.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:39 PM

I've avoided trying ladder stitch for binding because I tried it for EPP and hated it; it wasn't sturdy enough. As perfect as Sharon Schamber's bindings look I'm afraid bindings like that won't hold up to repeated washings. Can anyone weigh in on this from experience?

Haven't tried it for applique because Jane Townswick's instructions for traditional applique in her book Color-Blend Applique work really well for me. But now I'm curious to try ladder stitch for applique!

(On a tangent, for EPP I prefer TheDIYAddict's method instead of traditional whip stitch. Anjeanette Klinder's method is good too.)

Last edited by magicmoonmusings; 03-27-2018 at 08:44 PM.