Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you guys have luck selling? >

what do you guys have luck selling?

what do you guys have luck selling?

Old 04-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Default what do you guys have luck selling?

My sister recently purchased a little grocery store. She wants to put in a consignment shop and asked me if I would make somethings to sell in the shop

I have zero desire to make things to sell, but I will attempt to support my sister. I am going to make 2 or 3 quilts (which I know won't sell)

I figure if nothing else this will be a good way to use some of scrap and stock pile I can't really afford to put a lot of money into this venture

What else has anyone had luck making and selling?

bags - do they sell?
Old 04-06-2018, 10:17 AM

people always rave about my scrap quilts. i don't sell, i don't do commissions anymore either. but, if i were to venture into a help the sister thing ..i would scrap up my least fave fabrics, use up all least favorite scraps ..any block will create fabulous scrap quilts and be fun doing. and i think lap size will sell nicely. you may even fall in love with scrappys made from your least favorite fabrics! if you don't have much money to invest in this adventure i wouldn't be making bags to sell ..the needed notions for bags such as the interfacing etc are expensive. even tho there are kajillions of free bag patterns on net that don't require things like zippers, snaps, or hardware for slides etc ...i still wouldn't put time & energy into making bags and expect people shopping in a craft store to pay enough to compensate you for your investments in time and money.

Last edited by roguequilter; 04-06-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 AM

* 3 dish towels in a set. Find a cute patch of fabric and zig zag on corner. Tie in a set with selvage or ribbon.
* pot holders
* table runner in seasonal fabric
* patriotic lap size quilt for a veteran
* kids quilt (flannel back but no batting to keep cost down)
Old 04-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Tea bag wallets are a good little seller for me and there is a great tutorial here from Mamabird.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Our Mission Sewing had good luck selling cosmetic bags. PM me if you think you might be interested.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:16 PM

thank you so much for your thoughts... I will have to check into tea bag wallets. Patriotic quilts may be good. I will have to go through my fabric and see what I can come up with
Old 04-06-2018, 03:29 PM

I sell every summer in our senior snoop shop. My best sellers are dishcloths, mug rugs made with strips of scraps, pot holders, table toppers with 2 layers of batting for a hot casserole from the oven and last summer I added microwave bowl cozies but they are costly. Also sold sleep masks, and little bags from kids fabric and put a few items from $ store. Called them travel activity bags. They sold well.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:28 PM

at our show boutique (which draws many non-quilters too)the big draws are mug rugs, microwave bowl covers, tote bags (like for groceries, not fancy) table runners, seasonal wall hangings and crib quilts. Basically those things that make good gifts. With the mug rugs you could get your Sis to get some non-chipped, different mugs and see if you have scrapes to match for mug rugs.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Pot holders! And anything with a theme like Christmas ornaments. I saw the cutest mini blocks that were framed in picture frames once. The lady said (novelty shop) that they were a top seller. You could pick up frames at garage sales, thrift store etc. You're a good sister for supporting her but learn to say No when needed.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:45 PM

Small items sell better than quilts because they are cheaper for people to buy. Tote bags from scraps comes to mind as it is a grocery store. Quilted sunglass cases, throw pillows, etc. I would make a variety of small items and see what, if anything, sells. They'll be quick to make and you won't be out much time or fabric.