Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to decide between Pfaff Performance 5.2 vs. Pfaff 5.0 vs. Janome 6600 >

Trying to decide between Pfaff Performance 5.2 vs. Pfaff 5.0 vs. Janome 6600

Trying to decide between Pfaff Performance 5.2 vs. Pfaff 5.0 vs. Janome 6600

Old 04-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Trying to decide between Pfaff Performance 5.2 vs. Pfaff 5.0 vs. Janome 6600

Hello everyone! I am trying to decide between some machines, mainly for quilt piecing and free motion quilting. Right now I am using a very basic Brother machine (the Brother XR3774) and am excited for an upgrade! I have heard great things about the Janome 6600p, as well as the Pfaff Performance 5.0 and 5.2. I'm looking for the best "bang for my buck".

I test drove the Janome 6700 or 6800 (can't remember which one it was) and it was fine, smooth, did free motion well.

I also test drove the Pfaff P5.2 in the store and it was so smooth and fun!

So here are my finds:
1. I found a local used Janome 6600p for $1000. It's about 1.5 hours away from me so I have not test driven it yet. The original owners bought it 12 years ago, and his wife only used it for about 2 months since it didn't stitch fast enough for her, so she went back to her Bernina. They are selling since its not used much at all.

2. There is a Pfaff Performance 5.0 online. Sounds like it was serviced before being listed for sale. I asked how the FMQ performance was and she could not tell me because she has a long arm, and does not use the Pfaff for FMQ. This is priced at $1350. It does worry me a little to order online, and there is a zero return policy. But I could also save a lot of money and it sounds like the P5 and P5.2 are very similar. I don't use the fancy stitches or ribbon stitching.

3. Or I could go through a Pfaff dealer on my area. I could get a new Pfaff Performance 5.2 for $2150 including tax.

I think I really like the feel of the Pfaff, but from my research, the Janome seems more reliable.

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:58 PM

I can't give advise on the machines as I haven't sewn with them.

A couple of thoughts to consider. Do you like your local dealer? Will they offer support on products purchased as in option 2.

If you purchase Option 3 and keep it for 10 years, that extra cost is about 31.5 cents a day (over option 1). Plus you have support and/or lessons from your local shop. Hope that helps with your decision. Good Luck!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:05 PM

I have been using Pfaff machines since 1976. I have never had a problem with them. I own 5 of them right now--2 with embroidery, a Passport 2 for traveling, Quilt Expression 4.0 and an older 1473 model that still sews like a dream. To me they are very reliable--even when I go a year over before I have them serviced, I still have no issues with them. And I agree, and good dealer is important. It does help to have one, somewhere you can go for lessons and get questions answered.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the advice! I did ask the local dealers if they service machines that are not sold by them, and she said yes, for a fee of course. But yes I think it does give me more of a secure feeling to know I would get a warranty if I bought through them.

I guess if I bought the used machines I would just be taking a risk on them. Hmm.

What kind of advantages have you found by buying through a dealer?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:47 PM

Classes, support any time I need it, a place just to go visit and spend time. The warranty also saves you money if a repair is needed, which you only get from a dealer.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:19 AM

My only issue with my Pfaff (and this is totally a personal thing) is that the front of my machine sloped down. It seemed great when I purchased it before beginning to quilt but then when I wanted to purchase an acrylic extension, it never fit right. Also, could not do FMQ on it. Too many skipped stitches. Now in its defense, I was just learning how to FMQ. However, I tried everything. Even took it back to the LQS in my area and had her try FMQing on it. She did fine. She used a 90/14 needle then so I tried that to no avail. I now have a Brothers INNOVA-IS 2000. FMQ is fine with this machine. From what I have read on this Board in the last several years, all these amazing new machines are incredible.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 AM

I prefer to buy from a dealer, but that sure is a big jump! Did you do any negotiating? There are definite benefits from buying at a dealers.
Also, and this may sound odd, but make sure your dealer isn't going to retire anytime soon. I was careful to go with a local dealer (and paid more) and then he retired.
I have a Singer, made by Janome (6500) and love it. I can't imagine having trouble with how fast it can sew.
I would try the Janome out and see what feeling you get from the people as well as the machine. See how clean the bobbin area is. If there is an extension table with it. If you feel comfortable with the sellers. And, make an offer.
I wouldn't buy sight unseen.

Watson

Watson