Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what am I doing wrong >

what am I doing wrong

what am I doing wrong

Old 04-10-2018, 05:16 AM

At the Madison WI quilt expo last year, there was a lady selling sterling silver thimbles. They are purchased to fit your finger and no one else's finger. She may be there again this year.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I found small leather dots that adhere to the finger that I use to push the needle while sewing binding. I found that I can't use a regular thimble after trying different types, but I was tired of sore fingers. Found the leather dots at a quilt shop and I love them.
While at a sewing group a couple of weeks ago, a fellow quilter gave me a sticky “dot” to use for my appliqué project. You can reuse them over and over (not sure how long exactly) but they look like a tiny felt pad you would but under your furniture...but they stick firmly to your finger. I liked it far better than a clunky thimble...now I’ve just got to order some as my LQS did not have them.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Odd, my thread never comes in contact with my thimble. I wear a thimble on the middle right finger.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
At the Madison WI quilt expo last year, there was a lady selling sterling silver thimbles. They are purchased to fit your finger and no one else's finger. She may be there again this year.
That sounds like my friend, Tommy Lane. She measures your finger and makes you a thimble. I have had mine for over 25 years and I love it; it has a space for my fingernail at the top; it is the most comfortable thimble I have ever owned.. She used to be at quilt shows, so hope she is still able to do that.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Odd, my thread never comes in contact with my thimble. I wear a thimble on the middle right finger.
ok then how do you push the needle? aren't thimbles used to push the needle through?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
If you are sewing with a single thread, keep the "loose" end about an inch for the fabric, and move the needle along as you sew. This way it keeps moving the stress point every few stitches. Hope this makes sense.
well I am sewing with one piece of thread but pulled through and knotted together at the end.. so I have 2 strings to work with

i am just going to have to try harder to remember to keep moving the thread so I don't stress my thread and wear it in two

i was just hoping that I was doing something wrong - I can't be the only person who has this problem right??
Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 AM

When I use a thimble, I place it on the end of the needle, but the thread is coming out the side of the eye so is not between the needle and thimble. I learned a neat trick in Sharon Schamber's class a few weeks ago - to basically stitch through the thread tails - and then I don't have to worry about the needle unthreading - which is my usual problem.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
ok then how do you push the needle? aren't thimbles used to push the needle through?
I agree with the other poster who said the thread comes out the side of the needle, so it doesn't come in contact with the thimble.

I am another who wears the thimble on my middle right finger, and I push the needle with the side of that finger. This is how I've always done it, it just comes naturally to me this way.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Does she have contact info? can you pm me or post it here?
Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
That sounds like my friend, Tommy Lane. She measures your finger and makes you a thimble. I have had mine for over 25 years and I love it; it has a space for my fingernail at the top; it is the most comfortable thimble I have ever owned.. She used to be at quilt shows, so hope she is still able to do that.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
When I use a thimble, I place it on the end of the needle, but the thread is coming out the side of the eye so is not between the needle and thimble. I learned a neat trick in Sharon Schamber's class a few weeks ago - to basically stitch through the thread tails - and then I don't have to worry about the needle unthreading - which is my usual problem.
Well I will have to study this tonight

while I am on the couch watching TV sewing maybe I am holding things at a weird angle?? I will have to watch

thank you everyone