Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charged for a punch card >

charged for a punch card

charged for a punch card

Old 03-10-2019, 05:01 AM

I have never paid for a rewards card. Our LQS loves us all and provides great service, classes and important information about machines, quilting and more. They have a class to make a 20% bag that includes the store logo. When we bring the bag to classes we get 20% off anything we purchase whether for the class or not, and if we bring the bag on Saturdays, we get 20% off. Even though a novice quilter, I feel welcome in this shop...even when I do not buy anything. I agree with others who suggested you call the owner and let him/her know how you felt when charged for the card.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:19 AM

Never heard of that before. But I can see if the cards are more than simply printed off a printer. If the rewards are great, I might pay for one. My LQS has a paid membership card that grants a percentage off of sales and 3 yards at 50% in your birthday month. Which reminds me that I need to get in there and purchase that 3 yards.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:02 AM

My LQS (now closed) did offer a punch card for a small fee. As I recall, you got $20 worth of merchandise when it was filled. Pay $1.00, get $20.00 -- seemed like a great deal to me.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Happy Birthday, Toverly!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:52 AM

I would not pay for a punch card. A store usually has them as a PR item. They assume a certain percentage will never redeem them (same plan as gift cards). And, if the card clearly states they can only be redeemed if fully 'punched' or within a certain time frame - that solves that problem. This sounds like the shop owner doesn't understand the marketing strategy of the cards or is kind of a persnickety person. Having to pay for a card that's purpose is to reward a frequent buyer sounds contrary.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:14 AM

That just seems so petty. And if people try to cash in partially punched cards, can’t they just say no. It all seems weird.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:08 AM

my LQS charges $20 to join their exclusive "club" where you get 20% off on a very specific day each month. Usually days that I cannot get there. When I do go in, since I am not in their "club" they pay me no attention. Most the time I don't buy much if anything because they are up to $12 a yard, so I really have to love a pattern to get it or really can't find it elsewhere..... I rarely visit at all anymore.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Just curious, what is the "reward" of the punch card? What do you get after so many punches? and how many punches before the "reward".
For what its worth, I would never ever pay for a punch card. If a quilt store is looking to get my loyalty, have a changing variety of fabrics, have competitive prices, sales or specials, classes, fun events, offer the intangibles like customer service, friendliness, willingness to go an extra step, basically, treat me like they are happy to see me and that just my shopping in their shop is good for THEM.
A shop I know of has a reward program run through their cash register system, after spending so much money, you get a preset cash reward to spend as you please in the shop. The customers don't have to do anything, just give your name when paying and it shows on your receipt where you are in the accumulation of the set amount.
The reward is 15.00 credit toward your next purchase and you have to get 155.00 in purchases to get that. To compare the other localish quilt store has a free punch card that gives you 30.00 towards your next purchase and you have to spend 200.00 to fill the card. As a bonus they give you double punches if you pay cash.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:53 PM

I have never paid for a punch card. I thought a punch card was an incentive to have you come back to the shop and get your card filled with punches and get a discount or some sort of gift like a fat quarter. I would think the quilt shop would benefit from your frequent visits.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:47 PM

sometimes businesses have false economies. this policy would have annoyed me also. and it isn't the end of the world for them to combine partial cards. in fact as one LQS near me does so they can also reuse the partial card