Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild programs >

quilt guild programs

quilt guild programs

Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
As far as the same ones do the talking and doing, they are probably the only ones who will do anything. Most members will not get involved but then complain about the programs or lack of them. In my opinion the guild is better without them. .
Ouch.
No, you couldn't get a word in edgewise with these women. You could bring show and tell, no they all had to go first, If there was time left over they'd talk over who ever was left.
They would go to retreats en masse, then spend the whole next guild meet time up in front talking about the whole thing from the time they got in the car until they got back home.

They were a guild unto themselves, and yes they probably were better off without me.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

No, you couldn't get a word in edgewise with these women. You could bring show and tell, no they all had to go first, If there was time left over they'd talk over who ever was left.
They would go to retreats en masse, then spend the whole next guild meet time up in front talking about the whole thing from the time they got in the car until they got back home.
One guild I was in had a group of four members like this. The new President put a stop to it. She called them out when they tried to take over and ask them to tone it down or take it outside She really did LOL. They of course got miffed and left the guild. No one was upset about that. We have a few that complain about the lack of programs they like but never raise their hands to plan any. What really gets me irked is we have several members at a time volunteer to bring snacks and one member always brings leftovers from her kitchen. Some have been open and stale. She noticed a member tossing her stale cookie in the trash after taking one bite and said it was a waste and rude. The whole table heard her. The member casually said sure was a waste of my time trying to eat it and went got an Oreo from a new package. LOL She became my best friend from the guild.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:35 PM

That is exactly what I do not want to happen here.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
That is exactly what I do not want to happen here.
I guess I didn't read how many people are typically coming to guild meetings--but fair warning, in any larger group there will be those that are enthused, supportive and engage in whatever you provide. Then there will a smaller group that are cliquey, tend to complain, not be totally supportive--yeah, generally act like 7th grade girls (spent 27 yrs as middle school counselor so know it when I see it!). Then there are those that really are supportive but may be talking during the programs--I found this is mostly cause they have hearing issues themselves and don't realize how loud they are being. Use some humor here!

Kudos to you for volunteering! We do beginner classes every year for any members--we find that about 1/3 fade away after the classes--quilting is not their "thing" for whatever reason; a 1/3rd stay as members but are rarely seen due to work, family, etc and a 1/3rd plunge in and actively participate, not just showing up at meetings. That 1/3rd is what keeps the guild alive and dynamic. Also, don't hesitate to ask someone to help with something--being new you have the advantage of not knowing all the "old history" that may keep someone from volunteering and sometimes people just need a specific request to help! Good luck--sounds like you will do great!
Old 06-22-2019, 05:05 AM

You just stated all my concerns in a single post. Also my health is a serious problem and I have not considered myself dependable for almost 30 years now (I had a stroke). I cannot handle stress well and am afraid to take on this without at least one person. I am good at organizing thing and delegating and sharing responsibility but cannot take on the entire show anymore . I sent my list of ideas off to the president of the guild yesterday. I hope he gets back to me soon. He is off having a wonderful time for the summer camping. I am sure some of the projects that I propose will be repeat programs. I would of course need a list of speakers and workshops that have been done in the last 5 years. That is enough time to pass before you see the same speaker or workshop again. That accounts for membership changes during that time too. Thanks for the encouragement. I still have to decide if I am gonna jump in yet.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:23 AM

Something our guild is doing next month is a field trip to a shop in the next town over. So we will have a light meal and after hours shopping specials. The shop owner is delighted to have us and will showcase new items as part of the "program".
Old 06-22-2019, 11:35 AM
cjr

My Modern quilt guild did this last month. Batting comparisons. several board members contacted batting manufactures, obtained free samples & literature. Each speaker read up on merits of each companys batting & presented. Was a very interesting program and not boring since there was more then one speaker. They also did handouts. Each speaker spoke less then 5 minutes.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Julia, since you are a little concerned about the demands this position might make and your health concerns, why don't you ask for a co-chair to work with you. I'd just explain my concerns about health, etc and emphasis that you'd be glad to be an organizer but will definitely need some help from someone that has the history that you will need, too. Good luck--you sound like a good program chair--or any office! Wish you were in my guild!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:48 AM

A good reason to be Program Chair is you get to meet new people and get programs in topics you prefer. I'm more of an Art Quilter, so when I was Program Chair, I had speakers that filled my interests, even tho the majority of my Guild are traditional quilters. One program that we con't. to do and is great is have several members demo a technique. The members at the meeting divide up and visit the different stations after 15 - 20 min. (or whatever your time limit is). We've had members show different kinds of fabric paints, colored pencils for fabric, making a flange binding, how to dye fabric, how to paint fabric, how to marble fabric using shaving cream and Japanese inks. Contact Quilt Shops in your section of the state and see if they'd come do a trunk show or demo patterns/techniques. Do you have any people that are pattern designers or fabric designers in your area? Ask the membership for ideas of programs they'd like to hear.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:05 PM

I had a quilting friend over today and she told me about a program one of her guilds held that she really liked. I had never heard of it but I thought I would pass it on.

Have you ever watched the HGTV show "Love It or List It"? This program is based on that. Members bring their UFO's that they are struggling to complete and the audience offers suggestions as to what can be done to improve the quilt. After their suggestions, the owner of the quilt decides whether to "Love It or List It" ..... take it home to love to put it on the give away table at the guild.