Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often? >
  • Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often?

• Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often?

Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Many years ago I worked for Maytag and we were taught always to leave the door open. Guess it worked as much old Maytag was 30 years old when it started "walking" and I never had a problem with odors. Also never occured to me to clean it.
    Old 07-19-2019, 03:04 PM

I leave the lid up, use Tide, and my washer has a cleaning cycle. The manual recommends Affresh, they are washing machine cleaning tablets. I get mine on Amazon. I run one through every six months. Works great
    Old 07-19-2019, 03:44 PM

I too leave the door open on my front loader when I don't use it -- I find if I do not use the fast spin water is left under the seal so I do a drain and spin after doing my delicate wash to get the water out. I also wash my sheets and towels with a bit of Clorox every week or so. However, I also use vinegar in every rinse cycle and have for years so I have managed to keep the machine very nice smelling.
    Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 PM

My hubs worked at a cement plant and his clothes were always full of cement dust. The washing machine would get so dirty. Finally someone told me to put white vinegar in the rinse cycle of his work clothes. Solved 2 problems, rinsed the cement dust out of his cloths and left my washer sparkling.
    Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Cleaning washing machines

Originally Posted by annievee
    We live in hot climate with high humidity, at times. Seems my washing machine was not getting some odors out----yuck ! I use quality washing liquid, no cheap, smelly stuff !
    Read online so many ways to clean washers. My machine is top load Maytag and is years old but functions fine. So I decided to use the 'natural ' way of cleaning with vinegar and baking soda--found instructions online. Now there are products you can purchase to do this but already had supplies on hand and did the cleaning process yesterday. Washing machine smells nice now. There are some fabrics that smell so bad after being shipped in those plastic shipping bags--they can actually smell up a room--ha ! Will be doing regular laundry soon to find out if this was worth the hype.
    Since it's an older Maytag, have you cleaned the filter in the center of the machine? You pull the rinse additive cup off and under it is a filter. I always leave the lid open when I'm not washing and have never had an odor. Make sure your drain isn't stopped up and all the water isn't getting out.
    Old 07-20-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
    I too leave the door open on my front loader when I don't use it -- I find if I do not use the fast spin water is left under the seal so I do a drain and spin after doing my delicate wash to get the water out. I also wash my sheets and towels with a bit of Clorox every week or so. However, I also use vinegar in every rinse cycle and have for years so I have managed to keep the machine very nice smelling.
    You don't need to leave the door wide open for this to work. I close my door but not so far as to latch it. You can't tell it isn't shut completely by looking at it. My machine is 20 years old and has never had a "cleaning". And I do two loads a week at most.
    Old 07-20-2019, 03:06 PM

I use Vinegar in every rinse cycle of my laundry. It gets any soap residue out, cleans the machine and is way cheaper than softener for clothing. I do use softener in the dryer. I have an old washcloth, I wet it and wring out the water and Spray a bit of softener on the wet cloth and toss in the dryer. It works perfectly. I buy the smallest bottle of softener I can find and put in a little spray bottle and mix 3 pts softener liquid and 1 pt water.
    Old 07-21-2019, 11:07 AM

When I moved from California to Texas, I found the humidity so high here, so much of the year, that I had to get in the habit of keeping my washer open after using it. Otherwise, it would grow mold and stink up the whole place. No longer able to use the top of my washer as a feeding station for the cats.
    Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM

I always leave the lid open on my top load washer and never have an issue. Like others, if wet clothes sit in it very long I will re-wash as they start to mildew quickly except in dead of winter.
    Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 AM

I used to leave the washer lid open until my Siamese cat decided to nap in it. Started a load without checking and boy did he explode out of the washer! I now leave it open for a bit, then check it then close it. Cat are sneaky.