Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blessed to have a Stash. >

Blessed to have a Stash.

Blessed to have a Stash.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:28 PM

I don't have much of a stash, but I do have access to my mother's small stash, which is wonderful for scrappy projects. I usually buy enough fabric to keep me busy for a year during the big sales around thanksgiving, and then buy notions and batting/backing as needed.

I did discover a local quilt shop about an hour away that has good quality fabric at $7-$8 a yard, including name brand lines. I have never seen so much backing fabric in one place before, either. Some of the lines are older designs but they are higher quality for less cost than the joann fabric. I was thrilled to find several bolts from a fabric line I am using in my current project...and I have had that jelly roll for three years.

I still buy from joann's; but I have to really love the fabric, or I am buying the cheapest stuff I can find to practice new techniques on without having to worry about wasting my money on good fabric!

Once I get the cash and the space, I am definitely building myself a decent stash. Too many times I have had to stop or stall projects because I didn't get enough of something, or I need to add another fabric in to make things work right.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 AM

When I bought my sewing machine it came with a stash of many-many 1/4 yard cuts. I have bought my fair share but my last purchase was some JAF white and cream and I'm committing to using as much stash as possible for the next few projects. I might still buy backs but definetly ship the stash for the piecework
Old 08-20-2019, 05:32 AM

As I tell my friends and family, if they would quit making such darn cute fabric, I could probably quit buying it. It just isn't my fault! I don't know when I started my stash but it got out of hand quickly! When my daughter left home, my husband created an amazing sewing room for me in her old room. I have room for stash and somehow I've managed to fill it with fabric. It is organized and on shelves. I also stash battings, wild array of colored zippers, interfacings, bolts of muslins, backings, purse hardware - pretty much sewing essentials!! I have no regrets, love shopping at my home, love being able to sew something together quickly. I retired over a year ago and decided I better buy more fabric while I'm working as I wasn't too sure about retirement income. Another great decision! Quilting, sewing, creating - great hobby and worth the investment!
Old 08-28-2019, 06:59 PM

I have a good stash too, but there always seems to be a fabric I can't live without. Sometimes Good Will has fabric and I have often thought to buy some backings. They are usually 106" and a yard of that is a lot of fabric.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 AM

LOL. I also am happy with my stash. I have enough of a stash to make several hundred quilts. My whole family buys fabric at auction, or gifted to them, and they give it to me. At this moment, I have 9 floor-to-ceiling shelves full of fabric, plus 8 "kits" that I have cut out (but not gotten around to sewing yet. I also made sure to include a picture of the pattern, so that when I die, the next person will know what I intended the quilts to look like), 10 nearly full bolts of fabric that I bought when my local JAF moved locations and sold all their stock at clearance prices. In addition to this, I have 9 king-sized backings pieced, and bindings for each. I have probably 30 yards of bias fabric for stems for some of my applique. I could literally never bring in another piece of fabric, and never run out. I also have given away hundreds of yards of material, to make room for more.
Although I do have to say, that won't stop me from buying more. I promise to only buy it if I need it. Or want it . Or think it will match something I already have. Or it's on sale. Or...........