Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blessed to have a Stash. >

Blessed to have a Stash.

Blessed to have a Stash.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Default Blessed to have a Stash.

I have moved my fabric so many times, while living in conditions that it was too tough to quilt. Well, now I am back home with my great stash and will hopefully be able to set up some sewing space. I am so blessed to have this stash. Although, my taste has changed some since I purchased it all, I am still so blessed. I was in JoAnne's today and was shocked to see prices of $12.99 per yard. This is JoAnne's. I have noticed prices on the internet being for half yards at $8.00. I guess they don't want to shock us saying $16.00. What's going on with Fabric prices? Well I am so grateful for the beautiful fabric that I have.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

​I am also grateful for my stash and only buy fabric on sale if I need it.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 PM

I went to a program on fabric about a year ago. Most fabric is made from cotton either grown in US or in Pakistan or India. Then it's woven into greige goods (pronounced gray)which is just plain fabric. It then gets shipped to another country, like Pakistan or South Korea, India or China for dyeing or printing. It then gets shipped back to the US for distribution. So lots of shipping costs there. Reason not printed in US--cause many of those factories are closed and the process is done cheaper in those other countries, even with shipping costs. And shop owners, big or little, need to make enough to keep the doors open and make a profit. So....we pay those high costs! This manufacturer said that his company had moved all printing process out of China to avoid the additional tariff costs.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-17-2019 at 02:52 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-16-2019, 08:20 PM

If you think prices are high here, ask quilters from Australia or the U.K. what they're paying and you'll be shocked! I couldn't afford to quilt elsewhere!
Old 08-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
If you think prices are high here, ask quilters from Australia or the U.K. what they're paying and you'll be shocked! I couldn't afford to quilt elsewhere!
I visited Liberty of London recently when I was in England. Their fabric was £28 a meter. Exchange rate with the US dollar at that time was $1.50. Had to limit myself to a few fat quarters.

(Did I find the correct symbol for the British pound?)
Old 08-16-2019, 11:30 PM

To be fair Liberty is always more expensive when purchased in the store! Liberty is normally around £16 p/m as are designer fabrics like Kauffman, Tula Pink, Moda. The next rung - makower, dashwood etc are £10-£14 p/m band non branded but still decent quality fabric is just under £10.

We long for American prices ��
Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I visited Liberty of London recently when I was in England. Their fabric was £28 a meter. Exchange rate with the US dollar at that time was $1.50. Had to limit myself to a few fat quarters.

(Did I find the correct symbol for the British pound?)
Yes - you did find the correct symbol!
Old 08-17-2019, 12:27 AM

I understand fabric and knitting yarns are expensive in Canada too.

I have family there (British Columbia) and would love to take my daughter-in-law fabric shopping, buy fabric to bring back to the UK then make a throw to send back to them. But the price puts me off.

I wonder where you have to live to enjoy inexpensive, good quality quilting fabric?

Last edited by Moira in N.E. England; 08-17-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:30 AM

I would be embarrassed to admit to the yardage in my stash!! At least it could be sold for my care home fees. Not for a while though, I hope!!

PS. There is always something needed to complete a project though isn't there?
Old 08-17-2019, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I've ever spent more than $10.00 for a yard of fabric. I buy mostly online and there are always sales.
I don't buy as much yardage as I used to. I have a lot and like to fill in with fat quarters, bundles and pre-cuts.
I wish I could sew as fast as I can spend lol