Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blessed to have a Stash. >

Blessed to have a Stash.

Blessed to have a Stash.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I went to a program on fabric about a year ago. Most fabric is made from cotton either grown in US or in Pakistan or India. Then it's woven into greige goods (pronounced gray)which is just plain fabric. It then gets shipped to another country, like Pakistan or South Korea, India or China for dyeing or printing. It then gets shipped back to the US for distribution. So lots of shipping costs there. Reason not printed in US--cause many of those factories are closed and the process is done cheaper in those other countries, even with shipping costs. And shop owners, big or little, need to make enough to keep the doors open and make a profit. So....we pay those high costs! This manufacturer said that his company had moved all printing process out of China to avoid the additional tariff costs.
Maybe we should start doing it here in the USA again. At those prices we should be able to pay a decent wage to workers and still make a profit!??
Old 08-17-2019, 04:12 AM

My late father-in-law was a textile expert and I learned so much from him. He was sad to see US mills closing but it was so much less costly in Asian countries. Americans are so inventive but we seem to give it all away. With the tariffs, etc. I don’t think we have seen the end of price increases and more and more fabric stores are closing at least around this area.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:41 AM

I'm thankful for my stash too. Realistically I have enough for at least 15 more queen size quilts, but I'm happy with it. I do buy fabric when I truly need it to finish something, but I try to never spend more than $5-$7 a yard. I always shop from my stash first.

Quilting isn't the most expensive hobby. My Hubby has been seriously working out and bodybuilding. Now that is an expensive "hobby" ! Every time I need to order another $50 bag of his special, top of the line pre workout stuff, I'm glad I have a stash of fabric! But he's the one who earns all the money in our house, so I'm cool with it. I'm glad he has something he enjoys and feels good about. Not everyone is called to be a quilter, Lol!

Last edited by NZquilter; 08-17-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:13 AM

I love my stash not only because I don't have to pay for fabric for every project, but mostly because when inspiration strikes I don't have to waste time going out and getting something I need. Of course, I still "fill in" from time to time so I still get my new fabric fix.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:25 AM

My stash is one of the largest blessing outside of my family that I have. Pure pleasure and no commitment. Totally innate pleasure. It will out live me. Most of it was purchased from quilt stores and I rarely buy at JAF. The recent exception was the penny a yard that I spent on 140 yards of fabric. I have had to watch very carefully my spending on fabrics. I only purchase sale fabrics when I do buy. Sticker shock has hit all of us, I am sure of that, so unless I am making something very special, I don't buy.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 AM

I understand everyone has a profit to make including the fabric manufactures. However, I'm still not understanding the cost being as high as they are. When I was growing up, My Mom sewed a great deal of my clothing to save money. It cost less for her to make me my clothing then buy it in the store. Not so today, with the price of fabric being as high as it is today. Therefore, I'm not understanding the cost of fabric being as high as it is, because clothing already made also uses fabric.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 AM

A lot of it is "opportunities of scale", Grace Creates. Manufacturers buy entire lots of fabric, they make thousands of any one item with very little waste.

When we were little, we still had a viable garment industry in the US, remember the ILGWU and look for the label?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...rkers%27_Union

Manufacturers were not-content with our own sweatshops and labor laws and so moved the jobs to other parts of the world. Same thing with the dye processes, moved to where environmental laws weren't so strict both in terms of buildings and discharge.

Since I stopped working I really can't afford much new fabric any more, so I've been buying at the local thrift stores. I can't really go out and find the perfect fabric for a given project, so I buy in advance and I have accumulated quite the stash.

I joined the Fabric Moratorium in the challenges section this year, and in terms of new fabric I've done very well. I did buy half a yard that was immediately used in a project. I did buy about 20 yards at Walmart for a dollar a yard. And that's it for this year in terms of new fabric! Yeah... I probably do spend $20-40 a month buying fabric for around $1-2 a yard at the thrift stores. My latest project was a collection just ready to go, 1.5-3 yard cuts for $2.99 for the package, not bad for a quilt top.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I agree with you, Grace, about the cost of supplies to make garments. It's not worth it unless you want to make something unique.
I used to make clothes, not a lot, but some things, mostly when my boys were little. It was economical then.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:01 AM

I too have a fairly decent stash. I don't do as much quilting as I used to do, so told my quilting family......daughters/granddaughters........to come shop my stash before they shop else where. They get real bargains at my house! Like FREE!!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

I keep a stash that is good for me but not a big one. I let the shops store it for me. LOL I do buy a lot of wide backing fabric when I see some I like. The pretty backing is always sold out as soon as it's put out.