Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blessed to have a Stash. >

Blessed to have a Stash.

Blessed to have a Stash.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
I have moved my fabric so many times, while living in conditions that it was too tough to quilt. Well, now I am back home with my great stash and will hopefully be able to set up some sewing space. I am so blessed to have this stash. Although, my taste has changed some since I purchased it all, I am still so blessed. I was in JoAnne's today and was shocked to see prices of $12.99 per yard. This is JoAnne's. I have noticed prices on the internet being for half yards at $8.00. I guess they don't want to shock us saying $16.00. What's going on with Fabric prices? Well I am so grateful for the beautiful fabric that I have.
I agree with you. The prices at JoAnne's are way too high. I just do not buy fabric there any longer. I have a huge stash and I am mainly quilting from that.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I keep a stash that is good for me but not a big one. I let the shops store it for me. LOL I do buy a lot of wide backing fabric when I see some I like. The pretty backing is always sold out as soon as it's put out.
I too let the shops store it for me. When I think of having all that much fabric in my house it doesn’t make me happy - just would put pressure on me. I use a lot of scraps but never buy yardage unless I am making something that needs it. I win fat quarters at the shop sometimes and I used to buy remnants at hancocks but discovered they are hard for me to figure out what to do with them. I am working on the Leah Day Friendship Quilt a Long which uses a lot of scraps but it hasn’t diminished my bins near as I can tell. I love a scrap quilt most of all so I’m happy with my collection.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I am using fabrics I have on hand. When I need to buy wide backings I just go to Hobby Lobby.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:34 AM

I have an ample stash....when I was working, I had to travel all over the state....I quickly learned where all the quilt shops were and as I had been told by my doctor to get out and stretch every hour or so.....I would pull over at a quilt shop and see what I could find in 10 minutes while I was stretching and walking...tee hee...well...I found it was easier to buy fabric then it is to actually make a quilt out of it....I bought several quilt kits and sales fabrics as they were quick to buy....and now I have fabric stashed all over the house and I am retired....so I don't spend much on fabric these days....but I did just buy...not one but two new Bernina's....not until I started stitching on the big one did I realize just how worn my old one had become.....the other one is a little one that I can take to classes as the big ones are just too much to haul around.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I am very happy that I bought a stash while I was working. I don't think I could afford to make the donation quilts that I make if I had to buy fabric now. Yes, some is out of style, but the donation quilts are still appreciated.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong View Post
I would be embarrassed to admit to the yardage in my stash!! At least it could be sold for my care home fees. Not for a while though, I hope!!

PS. There is always something needed to complete a project though isn't there?
Always! If nothing else, I usually have to buy batting or backing. I did make a baby quilt a couple months ago that came almost completely from my stash. I only had to buy a batt.

I'm grateful for my stash. Even though my taste has changed somewhat, it amazing what I find in my stash that I can use. I'm even making some pajama pants right now from some rayons I've had around for a while. Looking at my rayons has also inspired me to make some clothing again.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Same here, have a nice stash to the point I put myself on a for a year starting late last October. I've done so well this year as I've got a lot of quilts that need to be quilted, 6 projects on the shelf waiting to be started with their fabrics already picked out plus 7 projects started so I may be able to go another year without buying fabrics. The prices have really gone up since I started buying fabrics back in the early 2000's and we've lost so many local fabric stores that I've had to go online mostly for my fabrics and supplies.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-19-2019 at 07:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-19-2019, 08:22 AM

I agree that the price fabrics are outrageous. Especially JoAnn's fabrics. If I am going to spend that much money on fabric per yard I will go to a quilt store which I feel the quality is much better. I too have so much stash and my taste has change over the years but I still try and use up some fabrics from my stash.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:22 AM

I love my stash. I truly enjoy making throw size scrappy quilts. I always use from my stash but I also buy about 5-6 new fabrics to go in them. I only buy 1/3 yard cuts. Those new 1/3 yard cuts are enough for several scrappy quilts. My borders and bindings are always new and then again I will have added what is left over to my stash. I still have a small piece of fabric from my first quilt and I try to add a small block from it to my new quilts. Life is good.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:08 PM

At those prices, Joanns is charging more that quilt shops. then they give you coupons, hoping to make is seem like you are getting a good deal.

My stash is fairly large, I think - the better part of closet with bifold doors. Actually, if I also moved project boxes and fq's in, it would fill that closet. So bigger than some, but smaller than some, as well.

I've recently become interested in sewing clothing as I don't seem to find what I like for my size and age. Not quite 60, but I don't want to look like I'm 20, but also don't want to wear styles that my grandmother wore years ago!

Apparel fabrics cost even more than quilting cottons. I got sticker shock for sure. $20/yd is pretty standard, but it is often 50".

Estate sales, thrift shops, trade with friends... Where there is a will, there is a way. Check Quilted Twins (https://www.quiltedtwins.com/new-blog); Becky is a pastor's wife living in Poland and quilting using almost entirely thrifted fabrics. Scads of fascinating information and free patterns. Her twin lives in FL and has an online shop.