Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I do next? >

What do I do next?

What do I do next?

Old 09-22-2019, 04:51 AM

Beautiful. I make my large quilts drop on 3 sides and make shams for the pillows. It would look great to have mini bargello shams. Love the pink on the right for binding. I wouldn't add borders, I would let the design carry on.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
I'm working on a Christmas gift for my DD who has been so-o-o-o great during the past few years. It's a queen size quilt to replace the one she's worn out.
I think I should continue the pattern another 5 or 6 rows on the top and bottom to make it fit the top of the bed - not using the darker fabrics at all. But after that?
Should I add a narrow border to frame it and if so should it be dark or light?
Can I just add a border measuring a 10 - 12 inch drop all round?
The first picture is just the centre medallion; the second is showing how it looks with other fabrics. The fabric on the bottom right I purchased for borders but I'm thinking it should be the backing? I would need another 2 yards/metres I think.
It's being constructed as sort of a quilt as you go because I'm planning on quilting it myself on my DSM which has a throat space of about 6 inches - just straight lines emphasizing the expanding from the centre. Or should I splurge on a long armer?
Beautiful so far. If you want to make it bigger, add sashing and borders to make up the difference.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 AM

I would just continue in pattern until you have the desired drop, then bind in any one of the more solid colors. I think borders would draw the eye away from the beautiful center rather than frame it. It will be beautiful no matter what you decide.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 AM

The quilt top is beautiful. The colors are wonderful.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
By the way--as I'm looking at those pictures. On the top left and lower left, did a gold/yellow block get switched? It's not the same as the section on the right side of the quilt. On the right the gold/yellow stair steps evenly toward the center but on the left it's not the same.
I agree, something looks off there, not sure what.

Beautiful quilt, I love the colors. I like the idea of continuing the pattern of paler fabrics on the north and south sides of the quilt, then using the pink fabric at the bottom right for a border. I think that fabric is perfect for that quilt! Then maybe the dark fuchsia or purple for binding.

As far as quilting it, that's a pretty difficult question to answer because of the very personal factors that go into that decision. Can you afford a longarmer, or will it crimp your Christmas budget? Would you rather avoid wrestling the quilt through your DSM? Is your DD the kind of person who would be touched because you made the entire quilt, every single part of it? Or would she not care how it got quilted?
Old 09-22-2019, 12:07 PM

This is absolutely beautiful. You are so talented and she is going to love it.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

well, i think if anything is off i'd leave it. I'm doing some hand quilting now and am tired of pulling stitches out. this is such a pretty quilt, it is lovely the way it is. that is my Motto!
Old 09-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Your quilt is gorgeous. I remember reading that bargellos don't need borders or extra designs because they distract from the main work. That isn't an opinion...just something I read. I love your quilt. Congratulations. She should love it for sure.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:23 PM

Oh, your quilt is just gorgeous. I love the lights, mediums, and darks. So beautiful!
Old 09-22-2019, 03:37 PM

I will be odd woman out here.

I love the quilt as it is. It is beautifully balanced.

If you want a border, I would go with the one on the right, but only make it as wide as your widest strip in the quilt. It will not then be a full covering for the bed, more of a topper.

I would use either the purple or the dark wine colour for the binding.