Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When item is "lost", how long do you hunt? >

When item is "lost", how long do you hunt?

When item is "lost", how long do you hunt?

Old 11-23-2020, 04:16 AM

My new Wonder Clips arrived yesterday!
When I got ready to bind my quilt, my zipper bag full of clips was MIA. I think my problem is that I straightened up my sewing area, but they all have vanished. Frustrating.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:53 AM
Administrator

how long i torture myself with a search depends on how urgently i need it; how much it costs to replace; and whether or not having more than one would come in handy.

the less expensive it is the more likely i will just order another. it seems to be the quickest way to find the missing one.
since i often sew at a friend's house i will also just order another so i can use the "extra" one in my "away bag" of tools and accessories.

i recently misplaced a favorite pair of scissors.
got sick of looking and needed them to take along on a trip.
i found them online for a lower price than expected and on "get-it-tomorrow."
not only did i immediately find the missing pair, when i got the new ones they turned out to be the next size up.
so i now have a complete set of the sizes i need and use most.

i wish it always turned out that well. lal
Old 11-23-2020, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Oh I hear ya! It's probably my biggest pet peeve. Depending on what it is I may just replace it or forget it and go on to something else.

I'm sick over a recent loss. My youngest son made my husband and me gorgeous sterling silver rings when he got married. He and his wife enlisted the help of a neighbor who was a jeweler to help. He presented them to us at the bridal table. I wore that ring every single day of my life and wanted it forever.

One day I cleaned it with silver cleaner.I remember putting it in a paper towel to dry. I thought I put it in my pocket. Well it's been about 8 months and it's nowhere. I'm so sad about it. I have an awful feeling I threw it out.

I wish I could let it go but I can't.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:31 AM

Default Lost ruler I thought..

I knew I had ordered the 2-1/2 X 8" ruler from MSQC...but couldn't find it..anywhere...in my sewing room..so I ordered another one...then one day I was in the room where my sitdown quilting machine is and low and behold there laid my ruler..so now I have two..ha ha.. Why it was back there I have no idea...but I love the ruler...have a great Thanksgiving week everyone...
Old 11-23-2020, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post

So? is...how long do you hunt for the lost? I gave up after 3 hours...lol
Until the 'perceived value' of my time exceeds the cost of said item, or the time it will take to find another (on the web).
This is hugely flexible!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Oh I hear ya! It's probably my biggest pet peeve. Depending on what it is I may just replace it or forget it and go on to something else.

I'm sick over a recent loss. My youngest son made my husband and me gorgeous sterling silver rings when he got married. He and his wife enlisted the help of a neighbor who was a jeweler to help. He presented them to us at the bridal table. I wore that ring every single day of my life and wanted it forever.

One day I cleaned it with silver cleaner.I remember putting it in a paper towel to dry. I thought I put it in my pocket. Well it's been about 8 months and it's nowhere. I'm so sad about it. I have an awful feeling I threw it out.

I wish I could let it go but I can't.
Aw, Suzie -that would definitely hurt. I wonder, if the piece was cast (from a mold) that jeweler neighbor *could* potentially still have the mold to make a replacement?
Old 11-23-2020, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

No, the woman moved back to Germany. He crafted it by hand with her help. It was heavy! I don't know how he did it but he's really fit lol. Yeah, I'm sad about it.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:40 PM

Just today I looked for some bells I KNOW I have, but after looking for well over an hour, I gave up. I'll be going to Michaels tomorrow to buy some more.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:37 AM

about 5 years ago, I lost my grandmother's thimble- it was very precious to me and I used it when I did hand sewing. She passed away over 60 years ago so you can guess how old the thimble was. I searched absolutely everywhere in my sewing room, in every single container including the boxes that hold my patterns. I searched for days and was just heartbroken that it was gone. I eventually stopped searching but always had that thimble in the back of my head.
Several years later, I was cleaning out the closet in the guest room (no sewing done in there) and found a container with the "makings" for those styrofoam Christmas balls that you fold fabric and use tiny straight pins to stick to the balls......there in the container of straight pins was my grandmother's thimble. I just sat down and cried I was so relieved that I had not thrown it out by mistake. It is now in my jewelry box and when I need a thimble I know where it is and without fail, put it back every single time.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:50 AM

My quilting corner is a complete disaster right now, but we are still doing The Great Purge, so I'm expecting it to be that way for a few more weeks. When I do lose something, that means its time for me to reorganize and regroup, I'm pretty careful with where I put things, generally. If I don't find something in a couple of hours, I will stop everything and start reorganizing. Nine times out of ten, I usually find what I was looking for within an hour, then I'll finish reorganizing and figure out a better place to put whatever it is I lost to begin with. If I don't find it after I've reorganized, I usually fold up my sewing machine into the cabinet and start pulling everything out away from the walls because it somehow ended up on the floor behind furniture.

If it's still gone after all of that, I put it to the back of my head and just start keeping an eye out around the house. I once found a pair of snippets in my canned goods cabinet. Still don't know how they ended up there, but I found them.