Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt. >

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Help! fusible batting problem. Ruined quilt.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
there is a can of spray basting adhesive that works very well-I can't remember the name at this moment-old age brain
I have used 505 spray adhesive for years on many projects and never once been disappointed. I have known some quilters who sprayed too much and had a wet mess. They had to wait for it to dry.

It is not as inexpensive as Elmer's glue but since it doesn't take much for it to work I think it's worth the price and convenience. I have used it on Queen sized quilts as well as placemats and table toppers. I love the ease of it.

So sorry about your experience with the fusible batting. I have used it, too, (another brand) and not had any problems. June Tailor products haven't always been my favorite for a multiple of reasons.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Thank you for posting this timely post. I was thinking of purchasing some fusible batting. It looks like if a person were to buy some Hobbs is the brand to buy. I just finished basting a quilt using Elmer's school glue. This is the first time I used it on a double size quilt. It really worked well. I've also used it on two lap quilts. It washes out well but you must wash your quilt before you give it away. Congratulations on you new work surface. That is something we could all use. I sure hope they get your quilt sorted out!! Not a big fan of June Tailor products and this can be added to my reasons why. Good luck.

Last edited by My time; 03-14-2014 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Too bad that you are going back to pining with one unfortunate incident. I have used fusible batting several times and simply love it because you do not have to pin the quilt and "everything" stays in place. Perhaps you could try the Hobbs fusible on a small item just to convince yourself that it is great product. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Every quilter in my guild bastes with Elmer's glue. It's that easy and fast.
Can you please post how to baste with Elmers glue. I have tried and did not have good results, obviously I was doing something wrong/
Old 05-27-2021, 09:17 AM

I am so sad that this has happened to you. I have always had a fear of fusible batting. Hopefully someone here has an answer I would try some Murphy's Oil Soap on it to see if it loosens it some. Calling the Manufacture is most like your best course of action.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
Can you please post how to baste with Elmers glue. I have tried and did not have good results, obviously I was doing something wrong/
It's been discussed many times on the board. I did a search and found several links, here are a couple to get you started.
Basting using Elmer's Glue and boards with pictures
Basting with Elmer's Glue - - - ugh
Old 05-27-2021, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
How? Do tell? Just a regular bottle of glue? And squeeze it all over the batting?
yes sort of. Read the tutorials. And make absolutely sure you use the Elmers washable school glue. Not glue all. It’s all I use now. When dry it will not gum up the needle