Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight stitch, light weight machine >

Straight stitch, light weight machine

Straight stitch, light weight machine

Old 02-09-2023, 08:11 AM

I have had several Janomes that travel well. Mine is 12 pounds and has several decorative stitches, free motion capabiliby, comes with extension table, etc. - I keep my current one in my car for classes, travel, etc. Why so many? I've given one to my son, another to a woman who couldn't afford a machine, etc. But keep coming back to the Janome's.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I travel with my Singer 301. It's a much better machine than the Featherweight and only weighs 16 lbs, just 5 pounds more than a featherweight.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:05 PM

My workhorse machine is my Singer 4423 Heavy Duty. Would not trade her for any other. I do not have a machine that I travel with as it would not go down the sidewalk in good condition due to all the bumping of the cracks.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

It's not lightweight but this small green machine is like a Featherweight on steroids. The Singer 185 J. it's not much bigger then a FW. I found it for $25 at a local machine repair shop. The owner never came to pick it up and the guy said nothing was wrong with it, he gave it a good going over and cleaning. Wanted to sell it as it was very heavy for such a small machine. I have a white Featherweight I take to every retreat as a back up machine. It has saved the day for quiet a few quilters including myself. Sometimes someone just wants to sew with it to see how a FW can be.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the comments. I keep reading.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
It's not lightweight but this small green machine is like a Featherweight on steroids. The Singer 185 J. it's not much bigger then a FW. I found it for $25 at a local machine repair shop. The owner never came to pick it up and the guy said nothing was wrong with it, he gave it a good going over and cleaning. Wanted to sell it as it was very heavy for such a small machine. I have a white Featherweight I take to every retreat as a back up machine. It has saved the day for quiet a few quilters including myself. Sometimes someone just wants to sew with it to see how a FW can be.
I've always wanted a 185 J. I keep looking at estate sales, but so far no luck. Some day . . .
Old 02-11-2023, 06:49 AM

my singer 404 for mechanical.
I sold my featherweight to get a Eversewn for travel, I LOVE that little machine.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:35 AM

Has anyone tried or have the newish Janome Travel 30? It weighs about 10lbs, seemed to have a nice even stitch. I love the red color.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

I have/had an Eversewn 30 and its perfect for travel. My daughter borrowed it and still has it. When the Eversewn models first came out I bought the 30 with every foot and ext table for a special promotional price of $249 online. I bought it because I loved the rose gold color. It is a very good lightweight machine. I have one of the first Janome Jems too and it has never given me one problem. My grands use it to sew.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:45 PM

When I say straight stitch, I mean it does not zig zag. The motion of the hook is different on a straight stitch only machine, giving a straight line, not a slanted stitch.

so beside featherweight, what machines do straight stitch only. No zig zag.