Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's Virtual Quilt Day!!  Today - Sunday, March 17, 2013 >

It's Virtual Quilt Day!! Today - Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's Virtual Quilt Day!! Today - Sunday, March 17, 2013

Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM

After church and lunch, going to my friends to quilt and then getting home before their dinner, I only got ~3hrs to quilt. I did accomplish a lot of what I wanted. Here's pix. (In this spot it looks as if the pictures aren't in the order they were uploaded)The first is the total quilt. It's a wall hanging 3'x2'. A very abstract version of Fresno Bluffs. They're east of Hwy 41 between Fresno and Yosemite. There's still more work to do. The red rocks need quilting. Then it will be embellished with thread lace trees and Tyvek rocks. I'll post a pix when finished. In the spring they're especially beautiful. The next pixs are of the sky quilting, midground quilting and forground quilting. This is the first time I've really let loose and just have fun. I'm pleased with the results. The last pix is a very small portion of Fresno Flats. [ATTACH=CONFIG]402471[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]402472[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]402473[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]402474[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]402470[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fb-quilt.jpg   fb-sky-quilting.jpg   fb-midground-quilting.jpg   fb-forground-quilting-2.jpg   fresno-bluffs-8.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by klgls View Post
I want to make of these soon! Love yours!
Oh thank you! It was fun and quick. I did the pinwheels in one evening, and finished it up in an afternoon. You should do one, they're fun.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Yeah! Managed to finish off the handquilting within the apple cores this evening, thanks for hosting this fun day! [ATTACH=CONFIG]402476[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails apple-core-finished-march-2013001-small-.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM

I worked on log can blocks all day. It doesn't look like I did much between 1 and 5, and 7 and 9, but I added logs to 120 squares, squared up each block, and added the next log to 60 more blocks, and squared up 30 of those. This squaring up thing is taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but at least my blocks are square. Tomorrow after work, I'll square up the remaining 30 blocks and add the next log to the next 30.

Start of day...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]402477[/ATTACH]

End of day...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]402478[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails start-day.jpg   end-day.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Putting the starched fabric in the freezer makes ironing much easier. I left it there about 2 hours before ironing. It was very easy to iron and the fabric, with all that starch, was a dream to cut. OK, I guess the real reason I put my starched fabric in the freezer is that is what my mother used to do.
Thank you will try it. Just bought some new startch which I have to makeup and not happy with yesterday's results. Again thank you for the reply.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 AM

Dottymo, I am from Germany and I remember my grandmother starching table and bed linens and putting them in the icebox before ironing
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 AM

What beautiful accomplishments you all did yesterday, wish I could have been there. I had to work yesterday, brought some hand quilting to do (realtor open house), but gosh darn it, lots of potential buyers showed up! Then came home to my DH painting the kitchen ceiling. See you all next time.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
Nice pics everyone. I am having such a bad time with my arthritis of the spine today, that I am having to keep laying down to take the pressure off it. Consequently, I didn't get as much done as I wanted. I got one double slice layer cake all assembled, and started on the other, but am not going to finish it today. Will work on embroideries during the week. I am done for the day.
I hope you are feeling better today. How are you feeling?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
Plus sign update... Okay, when I made this, I didn't do any calculations as to finish size. It is a lot smaller than I anticipated. Only about 50"x50". I do want to add a border. I thought maybe solid black or solid white? [ATTACH=CONFIG]402247[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]402247[/ATTACH]I am off to make breakfast and take a crossfit class. I have been playing evil leprechaun tricks on my kids all morning. I put radically different sheets (angry birds) on their beds while they slept. Then we did a treasure hunt with clues from the leprechaun to find a pot of gold (a few Reese's cups). I will turn their pancakes green next...
Your plus sign quilt is so colorful -- I love this pattern and what you've done, by the way -- that I would use one of the brighter colors in the quilt. That vibrant orange, I think, would frame it nicely. That fabric or a solid that matches.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM

No quilting for me on Sunday. Instead, I dug up daffodil bulbs from the house we recently had to sell (obtained by the city via eminent domain). A wooded acre with thousands of daffodils--migrated and multiplied--in beds and under every tree. No way I could get them all but I got a bucket full and am going back for more. Wrong time of year, they say, but we had to get them when we could--and when we can see where they are. Also hyacinth bulbs. We're dividing and replanting, and hope it works!