Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
  • FFC -- One FQ:  "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c >
  • FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

• FFC -- One FQ: "Sew" Much Creativity!!Q c

Old 08-11-2014, 04:44 AM

QE, love the Spike block. The grays in the outer triangles give it a 3-D effect.

W$M, great job on the challenge. Those aren't colors I'd normally pick but you have used them so well.

Anael, how many NI blocks do you have done? I drew out a few in EQ7 (thank you for telling me how) but haven't made any yet. They're a little daunting.
    Old 08-11-2014, 04:50 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QM
    I love your friendship tree. The rest is fine too.
    QM .... Hope you saw Works4Me's latest Friendship Tree, made with different fabrics!!! .... post #1217
    Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 AM
    Power Poster

Awwwwwwww Shucks Everyone!!!! ... thanks for all your nice comments.

I can see why some of you were addicted to doing the Spikes, and the quilts they created. I really wanted to back then, but the timing was just not right for all that was going on in my life. The more I play with these for the toppers, the more I want to do them! They're working out great for that, and I see a runner with three or so together, sometime in the future too!

W4Me and MiraB (others too, I am sure!!).... you are going to LOVE those fabrics!!!! Might as well buy them all!!!!

To make it easy for you to view them ... you will have to find your own online shop! Sadly, their website pics do not do justice to the beauty of this line ... the colours are so gorgeous, and each has a beautiful depth to it, but just does not show so well on their site. All have bling, some silver, some gold!

http://www.northcott.net/?sid=2&layo...4&colorid=1072

W4Me ...
    You sure met that challenge well! A neat fabric to start, that would take a lot of thinking on how best to use it. Yours is definitely unique and innovative and should create quite a bit of interest in the block challenge display. Sure hope you get to see your quilts on display ... and the attention they get!!! It'll be a great motivator for you to do more!

JanRN and OKSGlad ... I feel better about the outer grey diamonds now, and played with the quilting lines a bit, to help with that 3-D look. Plus I figured straight went well with it to keep with the Spikey-ness! I wanted to do pebbling in the background, but didn't feel comfortable enough with the loaner machine to try that. So stuck with the walking foot and kept on the straight-a-way!

Anael ... I had never used greys til the other Spike and now this one. This time it seemed to work to get the manly appeal to it (will be given to a guy). I know it has become a popular colour for home decor.
    Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 AM

I love your "staging" for the photo!! (Love the work too)
    Old 08-11-2014, 05:15 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
    I love your "staging" for the photo!! (Love the work too)
    Thanks!! ... it was hard finding anything that looked photo-nice in the beds right now! I really need to work on getting more late flowering additions, to stretch the colour and show. I prefer outside pics, as the colours are always better ... unfortunately, I didn't get the timing or light right for these, so didn't accomplish the purpose.

Been watching your painting play!!! ..... can only imagine what you are going to be doing with them later!
    Question ... you mention several times about salt. Do you add it to change the colour effects? Or what does it do? Yes, I have no clue, do I?

Ladies ... if you have not been following MaryK's blog ... you really should! Just to see what she's up to!!!

Works4Me ... And that means YOU!!! Definitely your cup of tea, as they say!
    Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

RE: Northcott fabrics
    The hand to Northcott fabrics is so silky. I love Moda fabrics, but Northcott is a step above IMHO. Moda's color palette is more to my liking as NC fabric colors are brighter and tend toward a white base rather than the cream.
    Old 08-11-2014, 12:59 PM

QuiltE ... love that spike!! Which reminds me .. I've yet to finish my set. I've downloaded all the patterns and I have 6 made but I want at least 8 for place mats and another for a center piece on the table.

Works4Me ... the tree is lovely! I like it as much as the one you made with the FFC.
    Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM

Took step-son to the airport last night and wished him well as he enters the next chapter in his life at University. Came home and was sad at his departure so I thought I would cheer myself up with some sewing - need to finish the Buckeye Beauty.

My accomplishment??

Chain pieced 42 sets of 2" squares and only 40 of them had bobbin thread.

DOH!!

I'm looking at the bright side. At least I don't have to use the seam ripper.
    Old 08-11-2014, 05:41 PM

Could have been worse.........40 without bobbin thread And you didn't have to wear your bra !!!!
    Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
    Power Poster

DHMom ... oh dear .... no thread! Yup, good news, no frogging, required! You've got to persuade your "summer son" to do a semester locally for you!

Anael ... yup, agree ... only two sets is minor! but we can still have a laugh on the lady!
    Yup again ... DHMom can be all comfy now!