Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep. >

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

PLEASE HELP I need some guidance on organizing my stash. Problem- shelves too deep.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Hi- have you tried under the bed plastic totes or plastic shoe boxes? Under the bed kind come in hard plastic or soft zip type. Smaller stuff can go in clear shoe boxes, I get mine at Dollar Tree. Index card in front lets you keep track of items. Mind you, I don't have anything that fancy. Too much. Its in about 10 30 gal tubs. Been collecting for years.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:40 PM

I am getting the bolt's from Joanns and cut it 10 1/2 in length and roll all my stash up and put it into the shelf's. It is a work in progress. At first I thought of buying the comic book plastic but from Joanns they are free. Now I can see what i have but I am far from done.

my stash
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196962[/ATTACH]

work in progress
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196963[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196956.jpe   attachment-196957.jpe  
Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Bev

Quote/QuiltE]
Look for plastic bins with lids ... and looks like you could stack them two high. Try a few ... and once you know what you want, buy all the same for all the shelves you want to do. Or coordinating bins ... one series I like have different sizes, though they all stack nicely together.
Watch ... be sure the lids are flat, for the stacking ... there are some bins that I have that have rounded tops and just don't cut it when stacking![/quote]
I couldn't agree more! I bought mine a couple at a time as needed when they were on sale, at Walmart. I had tried other systems but this is what finally worked for me. I bought smallish "photo" boxes at Joann's every time they were on sale, which was often. I keep all my fat quarters in them. They hold a lot, are very pretty, and have a place in the front to slide in a tag with whatever you want to write on it. I just label them "Fat Quarters". For small cuts of fabric such as half yards I got mid size bins at Joann's that have a turquoise top. They also look very nice on the shelves. Remember to get the flat top ones. I have always liked my stash placed in bins to avoid dust and animal hairs. I have two cats and a dog. ALL long haired!

8-)
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 PM

I found the IKEA Antonius system fits perfectly in my closet and I put one on top of the other. I used the wire, no rust, baskets. I can easily see what is in each drawer and the drawers slide out easily.

I divided my fabrics by color and type: batiks, themed, and then color.

No boards to take up space. Just quick and easy.

ali
Old 05-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I use a foamboard that measures 20X30". Cut it into 10 pieces measuring 10X6". Wrap fabric around. The large sheets cost me $1.00 ea at Family Dollar stores. So 10 cents each is a bargain. They are acid free so won't harm your fabric. The label say ADAMS R.L.Adams Plastics, Inc. www.readiboard.com
I secure the ends to the fabric with plastic paper clip like tabs that I got in a tub at WalMart.
You could get more than one layer of them on your shelves. I would stand the ones in the back on end and the ones in front of them on edge. That way you could see all of them at the same time and still have some room in front. Actually you could stack all of them on edge and still have room in front. This way you can remove them one at a time rather than having to look through boxes for what you are looking for. Ann in TN
This idea sounds like a winner -- I really like having mine on the boards (which is why I have a bunch of boxes on hand now.)
Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Here's another suggestion. Go to the Bernina Facebook page and upload these photos to enter the sewing room makeover contest! I had just finished organizing mine when they announced the contest so I didn't have amazing pictures like these to enter. LOL!!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:46 PM

I just "Fainted!"
Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM

I also have shelves that are 24" deep. I LIKE TO BE AS FRUGAL AS POSSIBLE. Either round up a bunch of cardboard boxes and cut them 9" x 11" OR the latest thing I've come up with is using the cardboards from older photo album (the kind that has sticky cardboard and then you raise the clear plastic to mount the pictures in). Be on the look out at the Good Will Store or garage sales for these kinds of photo albums. If your material is over a yard then wind it around the carboards and pin it. (I like to measure my material first and that way you could also pin onto the fabric how many yards is on this roll.) I put all of my cotton batting supplies at the back of the shelves and place my fabric rolls in front. If your material is less than a yard then fold it constantly and file in a box (one behind the other NOT on top of each other. Cut the sides of the box down to the height of the folded material. File your material according to color. You could also cut out a handle on the end of the box so you can easily slide it in and out from your shelves.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
I like plastic bins or even boxes that you can use like drawers...slide them in and out to get what you want. You can always decorate the outside to make them look pretty.
Arrange them by color family. I arrange all of my colors together, and put my blenders, and conversation prints, in their own areas. I also sort by content so I know what has Poly or something else in it, since I also sew other things.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

plastic bins?