Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 12-23-2014, 06:02 AM

I'm posting these to help give others ideas. These are my Test blocks- I'm glad I did them as I learned a lot. this is done using a very dark brown/green, a dark green batik, light green, gold, gold pattern and the bold green/gold/brown pattern. I have all 36 of these cut and ironed on. In a few places, I used the back side of the fabric, mostly where the look was of a twisted ribbon.

It's a very different look - and one more note, I did not trace from the back, so most of my blocks are transposed from the book.

And close ups. I didn't like it much until I started doing the stitching, as that is making all the difference for me. Though you won't have it with hand applique, the color of the thread for the satin stitch can be used to highlight the designs in different ways. Not all of these have been stitched yet, so you can see how different they are without that. I know I would not like these color choices if I had done hand applique.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've been playing with fabric again. I pulled out the batiks from a few sampler packs I bought and laid them out with the Gold Fairy Frost background.

Then I started pulling out those that I felt didn't play well with the background - which was the yellow/gold/orange tones.

I think it looks better in the picture than in person - I just could not get excited about working with it. I think it would be great with black but it just didn't want to click in my brain with the gold. I thought about ordering some black fabric - but at this point then I'd be doing four sets of blocks. At least with machine applique, they go faster.

So I pulled out some of the fabric I ordered with the Fairy Frost and came up with this.

There is so much variety in the print that I can get a lot of different "looks" using it, from colorful to lots of black. I had a few other prints but decided there was enough choices with the one and the others detracted from it. I may only use the honeycomb print for the border. It looks kind of brown in the picture, but it is black. I think I'll also use the background fabric for things like flower centers when they are in the middle of other fabrics.
I love the colours in the second photo.

Personally, I'd ditch the gold and go for black.

Of course I'm probably prejudiced because I plan to use batiks on black .....
Old 12-23-2014, 01:24 PM

I'm not going to ditch the gold, but I am seriously thinking of getting the black and doing the hand one with that. Partly because the top stitching isn't going to be as big of a part of the design with the bright colors on black. I think I'll run up to the local fabric store after work and see what I can find.

the best thing about going with black - I can use all the colors and really have fun with that. Some of the designs just beg for doing shades of the same color. And I wouldn't have to fussy cut a single piece LOL!!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Macybaby, pulling out the orange fabrics, I cried a little - I love orange and it is sad to see it just sitting on the side lines. But I agree, you colors will be wonderful.

Then I started pulling out those that I felt didn't play well with the background - which was the yellow/gold/orange tones.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:01 PM

Big sigh- I went and bought black fabric. The good part, now the yellows and oranges can come play too, and I also love those colors. I'd rather nix the blues and purples LOL!! But with black, I can use ALL of them if I want.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Good plan Cathy! I have not committed one way or the other yet but I need to so I can move forward. I love the fact you are doing so much of the work for me. Seriously though it is extremely helpful. One way I make decisions is to look at my work via photographing it. It has been nice to see what you have been working with. It gives me ideas. So thank you.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:13 AM
dd

I got a bunch of batiks in the mail yesterday that I ordered from Connecting Thread when they had their sale last week. I'll get the book for Christmas but I still need to get the black backing. I can't wait to start.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 AM

Most of my batiks are from Connecting thread also. I bought them on their Cyber Monday sale. The black I bought is a two tone, it's called "hand sprayed". I'm hoping that will be better at hiding cat hair LOL!! It's a good weight fabric and not ravely, so that will be nice. I put it all away so I'm not tempted to play with them - I did leave out the first set that I'm working on. They are turning out to be great practice as I try different techniques and ideas.

I've got to spend lots of time over this weekend getting insulation up in my "machine shed" so I can get some of those sewing machines out of the house!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've got to spend lots of time over this weekend getting insulation up in my "machine shed" so I can get some of those sewing machines out of the house!
i hope you have considered that when you free up all that space in your home and fill up your machine shed you are going to start eyeing those empty spaces in your home and thinking....."wellll...maybe just one more...... Lol! Just sayin...ask me how I know!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM

mary r What kind of stabilizer do you use? Also can I just zig zag the pieces on with a litlle stitch? Do you need stabilizer if you zig zag? Thanks!