Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 12-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddiction View Post
I received my book today and would like to join in I am new to applique and have only done machine raw edge with blanket stitch. I am thinking of trying a small zigzag with invisible thread? Then again I have always wanted to try hand applique too. Maybe I 'll try them all.
Ah so many decisions!!! This was also my dilemma. I eventually went with machine satin stitching. Still debating making a second quilt with batiks on a dark background or maybe black, gray, white, and red.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:41 AM

Knitette - I totally understand buying from the outlets in the USA - until I moved here quilting was beyond my financial reach in the UK. I usually resorted to cross stitch and was more of a reader than a crafter. Even when taking P&P into account it is still worth it to buy from the US.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM

For those of you that use a blanket stitch or wider zigzag - what do you do to control fraying on the edges?
Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Macy, I considered raw edge myself so this will be interesting to see replies, in the meantime you might like this article http://theboredzombie.com/2014/02/bu...e-testing.html
Old 12-29-2014, 07:03 PM

I always trace my patterns onto Lite Heat & Bond, in all the applique I have done, I've never had any problems with fraying. Depends on the look I want on pcs, I usually do the Blind Hem stitch, some I do a small zig zag stitch. If it's a real difficult pc, I will do a stitch I have on my machine that does, well it's hard to 'splain - it takes 2-3 stitches forward, then one back, and so on. You stitch about an 1/8" from the edge - it's a tight stitch and I've never had any problems with the applique coming loose. The Heat & Bond keeps it stuck tight. I've done applique for many years and have never had any problems. Hope this helps answer some questions.

Happy New Year ya'all
Jean
Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 AM

Knitette I hope your fabric arrives. Crossing my fingers for you. I buy a lot of my fabrics from the USA for the same reason. Kaelynanglefoot the worst thing anyone can give me ...is a choice I'll have a practice over the New Year long weekend at all of them and make a decision...maybe
Old 12-30-2014, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Still waiting on both my missing parcels . First time this has ever happened. Hancocks (backing fabric) has said to wait until the end of the first week of January and contact them again, but Fabric Shack (border and batiks) has told me to wait until the middle of February...................

Looks like I'll be sitting this out after all - as even if they agree to replace them - there's no guarantee that they'll be in stock.
That's awful Knitette! Maybe we should just go buy it and ship it to you! I hate to see you have to sit this one out because of MIA fabric. Pfft!
Old 12-30-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
Macy, I considered raw edge myself so this will be interesting to see replies, in the meantime you might like this article http://theboredzombie.com/2014/02/bu...e-testing.html
Thanks for this link! Very informative and so amusing!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:24 AM

Thank you kindleaddict. That a article made me feel so much better. I have been working on an applique Christmas quilt that I started a couple of years ago and I had never done applique before. I figured that I could just pick decorative stitches for the edges and have fun. Then I was told that it could only be used as a wall quilt. It kind of dulled my enthusiasum but now I'm thinking it should be fine as I don't intend to dance on it in the driveway at all. :-)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 AM

I have a personal strong dislike for any sort of fraying - just a pet peave of mine. I've been doing satin stitch, but do like the look of the blanket stitch if I can eliminate fraying. I was thinking I could use fray check on the edge and then stitch down. I use that on a lot of things that I don't want to fray (like the cut ends of ribbon).

From my years of garment construction - a lot will depend on the fabric, but since quilting normally deals with tighter woven cotton, that takes care of a lot of it.

The fusable web my husband picked up several months ago was very good at holding the cut edge, but this stuff I just picked up isn't near as good at holding the edge tight. He got the other stuff at Walmart, and when I looked there Sunday, what they had was just like I recently bought. Maybe Pellon made a change. . . I'm learning to work with it though, so all should be fine.

I picked up my embroidery thread yesterday, so I can finish up my test block set and get ready to start on the "real" sets.

I think I am going to work on cutting all my pieces ahead of time, so I can put what is left over back into my stash for other projects.