Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM

...I have a personal strong dislike for any sort of fraying

Do you think using all Batiks will help contain the fraying?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:02 PM

Cognito - this might be helpful http://www.thequiltedtrillium.com/no...-applique.aspx

this sounds like quality batiks is the choice for this quilter.

Another good article http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...g-with-batiks/

And from this board http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...fo-t73620.html

Last edited by kindleaddict63; 12-30-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 PM

I posted earlier that I would be behind on doing this project. Well, today I bought background and backing fabrics. I had to throw in a few fat quarters too. Now I need to wash and iron it and I'll be ready to go too. Yea!
Old 12-31-2014, 04:44 AM

I'm excited! I'm going to start my blocks tomorrow, on New Year's Day and try to get a little ahead since I know I will have a tough time keeping up once I'm back at work full time and then summers are always packed (because of the camping trip we take in June, the entire month is basically a wash for me). BTW keeping up is not required, but since I started this QAL I feel like I should make a sincere effort to do so. I've had a few comments along the lines of "That's a lot of work, I don't think I can participate because I won't be able to keep up" and I would like to reiterate that

1. The "schedule" is really more like guidelines, anyway. I set it up so we could keep track of where we were individually as the year progresses. It is a lofty goal to finish this quilt in a year, but that is all it is: just a goal. The world won't stop turning if you don't finish every block.

2. No, you don't have to do all the blocks. If you don't want every single block in your quilt, just do the ones you like.

3. No, you don't have to do them in order. Some are easier than the others, so work on them in whatever order you are comfortable with.

4. Yes, we'd love to see your ALL of your blocks, however/whenever you choose to make them.

5. I would really love for this QAL to be all inclusive, so please please please don't count yourself out for any reason. If you are working on this quilt at any point this year, drop by and share your progress.

Thank you everyone for participating, sharing your advice, asking your questions, etc. I think we're going to have a wonderful fun-filled year!
Old 12-31-2014, 05:22 AM

Thank you for saying that kaelynangelfoot. It is nice to know that even us slowpokes are welcome and as much as I am looking forward to playing with my blocks in my embroidery software, that is a lot of computer time for me.
I know that I would never finish that many blocks so I am aiming for 9 and a nice boarder or 13 which would give me 4 nice corner stones.
I have never done a qal before and already I am really enjoying it.

Last edited by coffeecozy; 12-31-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:59 AM

I'll second what kaelynangelfoot said. It would be nice to see anyone that wanted to try - to do so. Even if you only pick out 2-3 blocks that really appeal to you just to see what it's like to do this.

I've got half of my test set completed. All are cut and ironed, but not all have been stitched. This set is all applique and I've experimented with different ideas for machine stitching. I started out with my Viking 990 and then moved to the older White 670 because it does a nicest satin stitch. I'm going to try my Pfaff 2140 next. That one is an embroidery machine I bought used last spring and have never tried . . . right after I bought it family decided it was time to let Mom go and I guess I just lost enthusiasm for learning machine embroidery after that.

Back to the blocks - I think I may even try one of my chainstitch machines for the embroidery (you do it so the chain part is on the top side). I think I'll ask DH to clean up one of them next. He got distracted and started working on the Necchi we recently picked up in a cabinet I wanted.

I love to share pictures - and look forward to seeing what others are doing. And if I get excessive with pictures, just let me know
Old 12-31-2014, 08:28 AM

THEY'RE HERE!!!!!!! This package containing my border fabric and some batiks arrived yesterday - a little worse for wear, but intact - and today I got my backing fabric! The first one arrived from the US damaged, but no idea why the other one took so long.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504233[/ATTACH]

This is the border fabric and possibly binding. I probably won't use the top right fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504234[/ATTACH]

I'm planning using other fabrics from my stash, but haven't decided what ones yet, but as you can see I'm a bright gal. I'm going to decide as I go. I can't tell you how pleased I am!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504235[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1298.jpg   img_1301.jpg   img_1302.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM

YEAAAA...just think of all the fun you will have... Glad it got there, better late than never... Maybe mail service wanted to fondle the fabrics...hahaha
Old 12-31-2014, 09:23 AM

SO happy for you Knitette! Just in time too! I wonder if any of those were on the two or three fedex trucks that were in accidents right before Christmas?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:57 AM

YEA!!! I'm so happy your fabric showed up - and I love those colors!

I had one package of thread that took the long way around. It shipped from Ohio (fed ex) and went to Wisconsin - ok, that is good since I'm in South Dakota. Next tracking showed it in Connecticut. . . . and then it went to Maine. Originally it showed showing up by Dec 15, and at this point had expected delivery Dec 29th. After a few days of nothing, it showed back up in Wisconsin, and then on to Minnesota, and finally made it to South Dakota and my house.

I buy a lot on eBay (sewing machine collection stuff) and have seen some rather interesting routes packages end up taking. I've had a few orders from the UK and one from Australia. In about 300 packages, I've only had one get totally lost.