Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 01-02-2015, 04:47 AM

So excited! a new fabric store is opening today not terribly far from where I live, and I am going to pay them a visit and purchase fabrics for my AOTH quilt before I go in to work. I hope to find a good selection of jewel-tone batiks and my black yardage. I believe that I will do Raw-edge applique for this quilt, with possibly a small button-hole/blanket stitch for the larger pieces and maybe just a straight stitch around the edges of the smaller pieces. Now I just need to have the perseverance to finish all the blocks. Lol. Especially since I know exactly where I want to hang the quilt! The big decision at the moment is whether I want to cut my book apart for ease of copying or not. Probably that's a yes...
Old 01-02-2015, 05:13 AM
dd

I was supposed to get the book for Christmas from my daughter but Amazon cancelled the order. Guess I will be behind until she can find another one.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:34 AM

@Beady, I've heard that if you take the book to Office Max or Kinko's they can take off the spine for you. I've never had it done but I was thinking about it when I was working on 50 Paper Pieced Stars.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 AM

I watched some videos while on break (I work four 9 hour days and 4 hours on Friday) and realized I'm doing something about the same as needle turn, just turning differently. I'm going to modify what I was doing because the needle turn will "fix" the problems I've got with my points. I'll stick with using the fusible web and pressing so I can get that as my "mark" and won't have to draw anything on the fabric.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by dd View Post
I was supposed to get the book for Christmas from my daughter but Amazon cancelled the order. Guess I will be behind until she can find another one.
Oh no! Keep looking, I'm sure you'll be able to get your hands on one before too long. Your local craft store might be able to order it for you if Amazon doesn't come through.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM

This needle turn thing is pretty neat! I'm sewing, and it seems second nature to me, tiny stitches and precision needle placement and all - yet I know I've never done this type of applique before . . .

So I'm thinking and thinking - what have I done previously that would make this so simple for me? And I finally remembered. I worked in a medical facility for about 6 months, stitching collars on heart valve prosthesis. This was done with very fine thread under a microscope, and each stitch had to be placed so no thread showed as any bumps or miss stitches could be a place blood could clot at. Each one was inspected thoroughly after completion, before going through the sterilization and pressing process.

I worked in a clean room, had to suit up and scrub up before entering. Only worked there for about 6 months and then got laid off because the company had problems getting FDA approval for sales in the US. So now I remember where I learned how to do this LOL!!

If anyone is curious, this shows a picture of the type. That flange around the outside is what had to be stitched on by hand.

http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/m...eart-valve.php

Last edited by Macybaby; 01-02-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Oooh so excited! Got my fabrics this morning and as I go along, can continue to add to the mix. Kaelynnangelfoot, thanks for the tip about taking the spine off the book. One to keep under my hat for a day that I venture to the big city. No such critter as Office Max or Kinkos around here, but I may check with the local printer to see if he can do that. Cool idea!

now I am wondering if I want to put some batting underneath my square as I stitch these shapes down, and then cut away the excess batting before I sandwich and quilt, to give a trapunto look to the quilt. I may do a test run to see if I like it. Anyway, here's my beginning pile of fabrics! Couldn't resist a jelly roll!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504489[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Beadywoman, I was considering something similar, but figured I'd do it after I have them sewn down by making a sandwich with just the block, FMQ around the design and then cut the extra away.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:53 PM

Gorgeous fabrics beadywoman.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:16 PM

I bought a machine to help with installing comb bindings on books. I use it all the time with my piano music and my quilting books. I had one large book of Mozart sonatas completed with a nice comb binding before I bought my own machine .Staples took three days to do it and it was annoying. I figured I could do it myself and save time and money. I use it often and on any book or pattern I like to have lay flat.