Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 AM

I'm working on my Block #2, I have the satin stitch one cut and fused, but have not started any stitching. I've got the center pieces and three of the four "flowers" done on the hand one. I still have not decided what to do about the embroidery on the hand blocks.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:43 AM

Macy: I'm so envious, really want to get started.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:07 PM

Anyone going to cut out excess fabric from the back ? Some of the blocks have a some where pieces are appliqued to pieces .
Old 01-13-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
Anyone going to cut out excess fabric from the back ? Some of the blocks have a some where pieces are appliqued to pieces .
I've been debating how to cut my pieces, because my blocks are satin stitched and I'm not sure how many layers it will stitch neatly. Some of the blocks are stitched through three or four layers.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM

I did the first set all satin stitching without trimming anything out behind. Mostly because it didn't dawn on me that maybe I should. It wasn't a problem satin stitching, but it may be with the quilting.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM

Thanks Macy, I will keep that in mind. I think I'm going to have to QAYG for this one. My finished blocks will be 10x10 and I'm going to add borders and such to make it queen size. I don't think I can quilt a queen size on my DSM.

How is everyone's quilt coming along? We're a week and a half in and if you are able to keep the schedule, you would have block one done and block two in the works. I personally, am very grateful that I did a couple blocks during vacation. I'm still chugging away on block #1! Just a little satin stitching to do and the embroidery left. It amazing how much time I don't have while working.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 PM

I didn't think about cutting away on the back either. I look to you more experienced appliquers to give me guidance. The one project I've completed, it wasn't an issue, think mainly because the pieces were big enough that only two pieces ever overlapped. I am going to make the individual blocks bigger so maybe that will take care of the problem. Still haven't received my book, although it has shipped, so can't do anything until it arrives.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:53 AM

I feel like I am making pretty good progress, I am working away on block 3( I'm skipping block 2). Except that inspiration (indecision) has struck and I am thinking of changing my background fabric to dark blue. I will keep working on my digitizing and hold off on stitching it out for today and then maybe stitch out another test block with the blue background.
I definitely won't be trimming any fabric away from behind as i am using fill stitches in some of my shapes. Mine will end up being fairly stiff because of all the thread work but I night also go for a watersoluble stabilizer to keep from becoming to cardboardy.
Is anyone else doing their blocks on an embroidery machine?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:37 AM

Coffee: Your way beyond anything I'm capable of, I have an inexpensive Brother with a large embroidery hoop. Here I hang my head in shame, its never been out of the box. Applique was the reason I bought it in the first place. To be able to program it to satin stitch around shapes of my choosing would be a dream come true. Can you recommend any learning tools, that is other than just taking the machine out of the box.?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 AM

LOLO Emma, that would probably be a good start...I know they look intimidating, but just set it up, get out the book and go step by step - that's how I learned mine.. AND, Google your machine and (usually) you can find a YouTube video on how to get started. I've learned a lot from doing that.. This is my second embroidery machine and still have to look up stuff once in a while, but they are fun to learn. Just grab the bull by the horns and DO IT... Have fun..