Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL >

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Affairs of the Heart by Aie Rossman QAL

Old 01-08-2015, 04:51 AM

I am slow as always :-) . I have just finished digitizing block 1. I am trying to decide if I should use my good fabric and just go for it or if I should stitch out a test block first. My impatience usually leads to disaster so I guess a test block. Hmm, now I need to pick fabric for that too.
I had thought about using the extra layer of batting as well. Do you think that it is not as puffy because the shapes are so narrow and close together? Or would trimming around each shape have had a more dramatic effect?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
I am slow as always :-) . I have just finished digitizing block 1. I am trying to decide if I should use my good fabric and just go for it or if I should stitch out a test block first. My impatience usually leads to disaster so I guess a test block. Hmm, now I need to pick fabric for that too.
I had thought about using the extra layer of batting as well. Do you think that it is not as puffy because the shapes are so narrow and close together? Or would trimming around each shape have had a more dramatic effect?
Definitely try a test block first. I'm very glad I did so.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:19 AM

Macy: That's absolutely beautiful. I wonder if Trapunto would give you the look that your after. I think Coffee is probably right, the batting in the middle of the shapes are probably keeping the shapes from puffing.
Well Kaelyn, you are a very bad influence, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I ordered my book yesterday, although I have almost every other applique book printed in the last five years. (Remember I have only one project finished.) Apparently your right, I do need yet another project.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:50 AM

I'll have to look up Trapunto and see how it's done. I may try my 12oz weight batting for the next one and do tight stippling all around instead of the outline. I think part of the problem is the weight of the gold fabric. The lightweight muslin on the back is plenty puffy!

I prewash all my fabric (including backing, but I don't prewash the batting) so I'm tempted to wash the block to see if it would puff up more. I normally wash my quilts after they are quilted and bound, and they seem to puff up quite a bit more after being washed. But I'm a bit leary that it might change enough in shape to make it difficult to put together with the rest.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM

*evil overlord laughter* Muahahahaha, Emma, enjoy!

I am having issues adjusting back to full time after three-ish weeks of vacation so I haven't finished my block#1 yet. I'm hoping to get to it tomorrow or Saturday. And today I locked my keys in my car, for what is the first time ever, funnily enough just after telling a coworker yesterday that I was really good about not doing that but I'm terrible at remembering to turn my headlights off. Fortunately AAA came to my rescue but it did burn all of my crafty time today.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:39 AM

kaelyangelfoot what size perle cotton did you use? It looks wonderful. Is it easy to hand sew with?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by mary r View Post
kaelyangelfoot what size perle cotton did you use? It looks wonderful. Is it easy to hand sew with?
Its the size 5 perle cotton and the hardest part was finding a needle with an eye big enough, while still being small enough not to leave gigantic holes in my work. I found that a needle threader is pretty much a neccesity. It was a little harder to stitch through the layers with the heat & bond light, but the thread went through the cotton fabric itself very easily.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:27 AM

I have finished my first test block and am kind of pleased with it. Yes there are things I will change on future blocks like not using the triple stitch as my outline on some appliques, but all in all, it may be a keeper.
So not being very computer savvy I will attempt to post a picture and hopefully not load in my entire gallery leave you looking at my dog, as pretty as she is :-) .[ATTACH=CONFIG]505349[/ATTACH]

Yay!! It worked
Attached Thumbnails img_20150109_080255%7E01.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 05:35 AM

Coffee: Beautiful work! I can tell that there is going to be a huge amount of eye candy to admire on this thread. So glad I found this thread.
My book shipped today Excited!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Coffee, that is a pretty combination. I also have the book - had it for a while, but with all my other UFOs and obligations, I cannot afford to jump into the AOTH right now. It is on my bucket list though. Emma, when will you start yours?