Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Upset!! >
  • I'm Upset!!

• I'm Upset!!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM

I'm new here- haven't read this whole thread, but skimmed it. Just to say that Marie Osmond has been quilting since her late mother had her first stroke in 2001. Before that, Marie has always been an avid crafter, sews, crochets, etc. Her mother had many talents & taught her these skills & hobbies & is the one that got Marie interested in dolls.

Marie is a serious crafter & says that doing crafts is her time to recharge her batteries & is therapeutic to her. If you would like to see her show her bedroom she has now, this is from a year ago & you can see she absolutely quilts & sews and there is no question how meaningful it is to her.

http://www.theinsider.com/news/16966...r_Bedroom_Door

Whatever you think of Marie personally or her music, etc. is beside the point - but she adores sewing & quilting!
    Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
    Google Goddess

I wonder what happened?
    Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Heck, maybe Kaye Woods is tired and wants to retire - Marie has alot of "drive" yet - so, if there was an opening, why NOT Marie>?
    Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Ok everyone, it pays to get nosey and ask. I emailed Kaye Wood from her website and found out that she left PBS and Janome. She has a new station----go to www.kayewoodtv.com and you will see what is going on. From what I can tell she is making a move that will increase her viewers and popularity. Whew!!! Glad we solved that one.
    Old 04-04-2010, 01:46 PM

thanks yall
    Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 PM

It's okay to vent, but we don't know all of the circumstances -I have a feeling that Marie Osmond does sew or they wouldn't have her representing the company. After all she has 8 children and designs dolls. I would let the company explain if you are that upset. I say never buy anything without checking it out no matter who the rep is. Hope you get to feeling better about the situation.
    Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Since everyone is agreement that who ever is promoting a sewing company does not influence them in any way, shape or form...Does it really matter who the person promotiong is? The main purpose is to draw in new people to sewing and they are apparently going for the generations who did not grow up sewing. 20's-30's something are going to be more open to a younger rep who they can identify with.

I think it's sad that there has been 10 pages bashing Janome/Marie Osmond. I am a Babylock fan. I don't care if Nancy Zieman and Eleanor Burns represent them or not. IMO, Babylock products stand on their own. Just my personal opinion and if this offends anyone...Sorry.

My suggestion is to contact Janome and tell them you don't want Marie Osmond or any other person except Kaye Woods.
    Old 04-04-2010, 03:26 PM

I totally agree with you she looks great and she probably does sew alot. She seems like a wonderful person too but I also like Kaye Woods.
    Old 04-04-2010, 03:46 PM

I am a member of a local guild with approx. 130 members. At least 50% of us are in our early 50's, with 25% over 60 and the remainder about 35 to 50. We even have a few that are in their mid 20's. There are more women sewing than there has been in a very long time. I have 3 granddaughters ages 5,7, and 9 and all three of them come to my home and sew. A lot of the new quilt designers out there have learn many a tip or two from long time quilt designers and teachers. It is a continuous circle. We all have something to bring to others. Let us enjoy what these new girls have to show us.
    Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM

I was not bashing Marie nor sticking up for Kaye. I was merely stating that I do not buy machines based on who is the spokesperson for that brand. I DO hope that Marie does bring in new or younger, new quilters. We do not want this art to die out. I like Kaye, Eleanor & some of the other older gals that have been teaching us about quilting for some time now. That does not mean that I will not like some of the new or younger gals coming along. They may have some valuable stuff to teach me also. I am always open to learn new techniques or new stuff.

Janome has some wonderful machines. Bernina, Singer, Babylock and other brands have some wonderful machines as well. The machines themselves will not change due to whomever is representing that Company.

I think we have all been just stating our own individual opinions here. I don't like to see people upset or feelings hurt. If I've said something that offended anyone, I do apologise as that was not my intention.