Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Upset and need help :o(

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    I had/have Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional that I got from my Aunt years ago. I LOVED it cuz I could save quilt patterns with it (PDF) then I could change the PDF to Jpgs..... I have alot of patterns saved this way for future use. I'm now in tears cuz this program won't work with VISTA on our new computer. NOW WHAT? How do you save your patterns from web pages.?

  2. #2
    Junior Member marty_mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    281
    Adobe can be downloaded free from the site.

    http://get.adobe.com/reader/

  3. #3
    Super Member Ducky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    8,969
    Yes, Beverly. Don't worry -- you can download it, just like Marty said.

  4. #4
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,230
    Beverly -

    Sorry your new computer is not cooperating Hope this helps.

    Most new Adobe Readers will open older files - Try and down load a newer version and try opening them. That should help with what you have saved..

    I assume you are saving parts of web pages. You can save the entire web page but that can be "bulky". Another way to save them is that you can actually use the PrintScreen button on your keyboard. Then you can open MSPaint, click on edit and choose "paste" - what you should get is a copy of your screen. Once you see what you have on your screen, you can do a SaveAs and choose jpeg as the type.

    The newer versions of Adobe are rather pricey I still use Adobe Professional 5 :thumbup:

    PM me if I can help with more specific directions.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Ok I downloaded the free adobe. Now can I save parts of webpages with this too?

  6. #6
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    Bev, it is sew exasperating when the new computer does not work!
    I am having severe problems with my "new" computer from last summer. This laptop got really slow and then died. Had to have a new hard disk, and in this past month, I have had to reinstall my Vista operating system, and do several recoveries! Just getting everything reinstalled from the last recovery so I can do MY things on it. I am quite annoyed! :lol:

  7. #7
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm sorry Bev!!! I'm not very computer savvy, but I sure am sympathetic with your issue!!! :wink: :( :wink:

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    Bev, it is sew exasperating when the new computer does not work!
    I am having severe problems with my "new" computer from last summer. This laptop got really slow and then died. Had to have a new hard disk, and in this past month, I have had to reinstall my Vista operating system, and do several recoveries! Just getting everything reinstalled from the last recovery so I can do MY things on it. I am quite annoyed! :lol:
    I'm so used to doing things a certain way and now NOTHING I DO WORKS...... 4 of my prgrams aren't compatible with Vista.....I just wanna cry, I'm so angry :evil:

  9. #9
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    Yes Vista sucks. Adobe reader will allow you to save the patterns on the web as aAdobe files and open them. What you will not be able to do it edit or change anything. That is the diffrence between Adobe Reader and full version. Full version will allow you to create your own .PDF files and chane those you get from other sources. Sounds like for what you want Adobe reader will work fine.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Yes Vista sucks. Adobe reader will allow you to save the patterns on the web as aAdobe files and open them. What you will not be able to do it edit or change anything. That is the diffrence between Adobe Reader and full version. Full version will allow you to create your own .PDF files and chane those you get from other sources. Sounds like for what you want Adobe reader will work fine.
    Its ok if I can just save a web page to PDF. BUT HOW DO I DO IT?

  11. #11
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    One thing I just remembered...when Vista first came out, some of the programs had to come up with patches to be compatible with Vista. You had to go to that programs website and download their patches, individually. You might try going to Adobe's website and seeing if they have this patch available. If you don't see it, is there contact info on their site so you can call or send them an email asking about one? Or just call/email them and ask how you can use your older program with Vista.

    Bev, if you downloaded the new Adobe reader, I don't think that will let you download a pdf, it only lets you read a pdf. There are free pdf programs available on the net. You click on print, (after you have installed the program) and choose print to pdf instead of sending the document to your printer. A box will pop up asking you where you want to save your document to.

  12. #12
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    Bev, My computer wouldn't work with Vista when my husband installed it . I had him take it out and put the old system back in and things are working fine....Can you go to the system that is just below Vista??? That one seems to have all the bugs out of it...

  13. #13
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I use this free program: http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp It's great. in your print window you select it and any part of a webpage you have highlighted you can save as a pdf file. I store the files here:

    It's free storage. [/url]http://www.box.net[url] so if my computer crashes my files are saved.

  14. #14
    PrettyKitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dudley, UK
    Posts
    911
    I work in IT and my brother and friends do too. They all tried Vista, then uninstalled it and went back to XP as Vista was a nightmare!

  15. #15
    Super Member eparys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    Ok I downloaded the free adobe. Now can I save parts of webpages with this too?
    Sorry - Bev` :thumbdown:

    The "free adobe" reader is just that - It will only read a file and let you print it. My guess is that there is also no patch available to make your Adobe work on Vista.

    I agree with the others Vista is terrible. I am holding off - I speak softly and nicely to my computers so that they last to the newest generation due out sometime this fall I think :-)

    So that is the bad news - the good news is that there are many ways around this problem. Below I have posted links to two free PDF creators (there are others - these are the first two that seem to do what you are lookinf for) . I know nothing about them - BUT they are free and they create PDFs from other files. :thumbup:

    http://www.primopdf.com/

    http://www.freepdfcreator.org/

    For myself, when I want to keep a copy of a nifty pattern, I select the text and paste it into word. I then use a program called HyperSnap to copy parts of the page I select as an image and then paste that into Word as well. I prefer Word documents as they are historically smaller files and I can easily alter them. (When you convert a Word document to a PDF the PDF file is huge next to the Word file for the exact same content).


  16. #16
    community benefactor Knot Sew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,722
    I put my stuff on a CD...all this other stuff is Greek to me. I just got Vista a month ago, so far no major glitches, but there is a learning curve. So far I like it :D

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Bev, My computer wouldn't work with Vista when my husband installed it . I had him take it out and put the old system back in and things are working fine....Can you go to the system that is just below Vista??? That one seems to have all the bugs out of it...
    We had Windows XP on our last computer. We don't have the Windows XP disk program to put on this one. I thought of that too. I like saving patterns to PDF for future use. No printing out til you need it.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use this free program: http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp It's great. in your print window you select it and any part of a webpage you have highlighted you can save as a pdf file. I store the files here:

    It's free storage. [/url]http://www.box.net[url] so if my computer crashes my files are saved.
    Thanks for the link. A couple years ago DH bought me an external Harddrive to keep all my patterns on. I love it. When in doubt of what to make next, i scan thru all the pics til something grabs me, THEN I printed it out.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    Ok I downloaded the free adobe. Now can I save parts of webpages with this too?
    Sorry - Bev` :thumbdown:

    The "free adobe" reader is just that - It will only read a file and let you print it. My guess is that there is also no patch available to make your Adobe work on Vista.

    I agree with the others Vista is terrible. I am holding off - I speak softly and nicely to my computers so that they last to the newest generation due out sometime this fall I think :-)

    So that is the bad news - the good news is that there are many ways around this problem. Below I have posted links to two free PDF creators (there are others - these are the first two that seem to do what you are lookinf for) . I know nothing about them - BUT they are free and they create PDFs from other files. :thumbup:

    http://www.primopdf.com/

    http://www.freepdfcreator.org/

    For myself, when I want to keep a copy of a nifty pattern, I select the text and paste it into word. I then use a program called HyperSnap to copy parts of the page I select as an image and then paste that into Word as well. I prefer Word documents as they are historically smaller files and I can easily alter them. (When you convert a Word document to a PDF the PDF file is huge next to the Word file for the exact same content).
    I tried saving to word as I've done it before. NOPE. Vista won't let me. I get a pop up box saying I can't.....

  20. #20
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Older computer hardware and programs won't work with Vista but the operating system itself is very nice. I can do much more with Vista then I could with XP. Vista was installed on the computer network at hubby's job and not one computer had a problem. The IT dept. said it was the easiest change over they've had. I hear a lot of IT folks say it's horrible. I wonder why the difference?

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Older computer hardware and programs won't work with Vista but the operating system itself is very nice. I can do much more with Vista then I could with XP. Vista was installed on the computer network at hubby's job and not one computer had a problem. The IT dept. said it was the easiest change over they've had. I hear a lot of IT folks say it's horrible. I wonder why the difference?
    I really actually love the Vista itself. I just have to do things differently. I've only had my computer 2 days. I'll figure SOMETHING OUT.

  22. #22
    Super Member gcathie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Ohio
    Posts
    3,270
    You go Bev.....that's the only thing bad about getting a new Computer.......you'll get the hang of it i know....:-)

  23. #23
    Super Member dvseals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,085
    When Vista tells you you "Can't" do something generally speaking from
    other places I visit, it usually means that your comp hasn't been told that
    "YOU" are the administrator. I don't know how to do this but maybe
    microsoft website has it somewhere in their help files.


    *edit* IF I can locate the post I read about this and the fix they had,
    I'll copy paste it here for you.

  24. #24
    Super Member dvseals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,085
    Ahhhh I found it.. Don't know how comp savvy you are but hope this helps ;)


    This is how you unlock SuperAdministrator on Windows Vista. (This makes you the real Administrator on Windows Vista.)

    Click on your startbar, in search, type this: CMD

    Right click on CMD, and click Run As Administrator.

    Type in: Net user administrator /active:yes

    Press Enter.

    A message should pop up and say "Operation Complete" Or "The Command Completed Sucessfully".

    Log out, and you will see a new account "Administrator"

    And you are done... you now have unlocked the SuperAdministrator for Windows Vista. Enjoy!

    To disable it, do the same thing but type: Net user administrator /active:no

  25. #25
    Junior Member marty_mo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    281
    You will get use to it Bev ~ learning keeps us young and firing on all cylinders. :D We purchased a new PC last year and it has a Vista operating system. I've had absolutely no problems with the system. I have Adobe and I can't manipulate or make changes to an Adobe file but then again I never could. I save .pdf file without problems. Click FILE and SAVE AS and it allows you to save it in the desired folder/file.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.