Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps? >

#9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps?

#9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:12 PM

I know I am a little late catching this train, but I will catch up. I did all the cutting and most of the sewing for the last mystery quilt today. It took me almost as long to find the clues as it did to cut and sew. I have a big stash and it is cut in all sizes so that helped a lot. Just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed this and you are so nice to do this for all of us. Thank you and I am looking forward to making a lot of new friends on this train ride.

Last edited by BettyB; 02-23-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spll
Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

I too am finishing on my #8, but will be keeping the clues on #9 to either catch up to or do a bit later when I have a lot less to do. Had no power for a couple of days due to ice. East Tn. got hit hard.

Thank you Judy for so graciously sharing all your expertise in these mystery quilts. I do love the scrappies too.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 PM

Wow, Im behind & my sewing room is torn apart & moving. I guess Ill just write the directions and do little engine #9 later. Catch the train for #10. Next Month?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:06 AM

Wow, I guess I missed the beginning of this train. Could not sleep this a. m. so up now printing the directions out.
Hot coffee and rolls in the club car.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:33 AM

Went to Joanne's yesterday to get some fabric to finish #8. The manager there told me she gave up buying fabric for Lent. "What, and you work here?" Hope she makes it. Must be a very strong individual. I have a big pot of vegetable soup for the ride on this train. Will have to sneak it away from my husband.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:38 AM

I finally got #8 sandwiched & ready to quilt. Sometimes I think that is the hardest part of a quilt for me. I did get a wonderful 4x8 cutting table this year & I can sandwich my quilts on it now so no more crawling around on the floor at least.

I have my squares ready for #9 but they are a smidgen smaller than 4 1/2". I cut them carefully & used my 1/4" presser foot. Should I have been using a scant 1/4"? I hope they can adjust to clue #2 because I just can't make myself rip them out.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM

Another one still working on #8. But definitely wanting to do this one too. Just have to figure out what I want to use as my dark constant. Have a whole bunch of white on white squares that I cut for another quilt then decided I wanted to use a light gold instead.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Currently 33* here just north of Houston. Now that wind has died down and no rain it's not too bad.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM

windblown - I think that light brights is what I call them, who knows what the Quilt Police think. But you guys all know what I think about those devillish and nosy QP. And really, isn't color in the eye of the beholder?

retiredteacher - love the variety in your light blocks of the 4-patch.

BettyB - you'll love our train rides. It is about the friendliest and funniest people on the board!

Thank you, JuneBillie

LovingMadison -- no, don't think the next train will leave next month. I need a breather, this is 3 pretty much back to back mysteries and I need to give my thinking brain a rest before trying a new one. But I do have an idea of a "maybe".

Beachbound - you will probably be able to work around your undersized blocks. I know it is too late, but maybe you should have made one block, pressed it and checked your size. I always measure with an accurate ruler and tried to get my seams a skoch on the skimpy side. Did you go back and iron from the front side to press out the little folds that you can get when presssing from the wrong side? Sometimes that is enough to give you the teeny bit more you need.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Just checked my white on white and they are 3". How fouled up would I be on the rest of this if I use the larger size? You can PM me if you want. I don't want to ruin anyone's surprise!