Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you do this ???? >

How would you do this ????

How would you do this ????

Old 05-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by peggymunday
When I first saw your post there were no responses yet and I stopped to draw out what I thought you were talking about. After having a problem with my scanner, crumbling up the paper and walking away to help my son with the grill, I came back and tried again. I managed to get the stupid HP copier to scan this time, so here is what I came up with. I don't know, I think maybe the other responses make more sense, but maybe this will help....
Peggy .... that's the basic idea of what I was thinking. Guess I'd just need to do some good measuring to get the right size for the front binding, and then tuck the ruffle over the edge and onto the back of the quilt and then bind it off.

hhmmmm?
Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

MTS ... thanks ... I just checked those out. I'd never thought of putting piping on with the binding. I like that idea. Would sure need a steady and straight stitch to be sure the piping stays even looking. Haven't worked with piping for years, though I remember squished tight piping and then poofy piping down sides of things! ick!! :)

Not sure if that's for this quilt?

Maybe I should have posted a picture before ... here's the OBW and what I am working with. I am not putting borders on, as the pattern is such a large repeat. The back will be totally in the original fabric and the points will be cut off, for straight sides.

The Virgin Fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196954[/ATTACH]

..... and it is square and straight. I am just SO not a photographer! :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]196955[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196948.jpe   attachment-196949.jpe  
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by clem55
quilt top facing up,ruffle wrong side up,raw edge to edge of top, then binding on top of ruffle,raw edges match.sew, turn, the binding will have to go all the way over. It won't show at all,and the ruffle will be on the edge of your top, sticking out.
Clem ... Do you think it's going to be too much bulk ... front (with seams, batting doubled over, double layers of the ruffle, double layers of the binding all stitched together and then flipped over to the back??? ... then hand stitched?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
MTS
Banned

If you're binding in the Virgin fabric, then a shot of that dark pink or dark green would look great as piping.

Lovely layout! It's very soft.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes, my plan is to use the same fabric for the binding.

About the piping .... what do you use for your cording? and how large?

Wonder ... do you think I could include piping on edge of the binding, for the backside??
Old 05-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
quilt top facing up,ruffle wrong side up,raw edge to edge of top, then binding on top of ruffle,raw edges match.sew, turn, the binding will have to go all the way over. It won't show at all,and the ruffle will be on the edge of your top, sticking out.
Clem ... Do you think it's going to be too much bulk ... front (with seams, batting doubled over, double layers of the ruffle, double layers of the binding all stitched together and then flipped over to the back??? ... then hand stitched?
Before starting on the quilt, I would make a mock-up to work out all the kinks. The bulk could be made smaller by zigzagging the edge before turning the binding (facing) to the back.

Also, batiks look almost the same on both sides. Would it be possible to make a single layer ruffle with a small hem by using a coordinating batik? - or would it look like an add-on?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KarenK
Before starting on the quilt, I would make a mock-up to work out all the kinks. The bulk could be made smaller by zigzagging the edge before turning the binding (facing) to the back.

Also, batiks look almost the same on both sides. Would it be possible to make a single layer ruffle with a small hem by using a coordinating batik? - or would it look like an add-on?
Good thought ... though I think for this quilt the batik would be so different in type to the quilt fabric. Might be one to use on another quilt though!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Maybe lace?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by shnnn
Maybe lace?
It has been a thought!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 AM

My OBW is back into one piece. Now just need the backing put together and I'll prep my binding before sending to the LAQ.

Binding I'm good with ...

EXCEPT I have this idea that I'd like to have a gathered strip of fabric that would stick out from the binding and the quilt (kind of like how a petticoat would hang down from the bottom of a dress).

How would you do this?
Please? and Thanks!!

(sorry, not sure if I've explained this right)
Why don't you make a bed skirt the length of the ruffle you would like. It would go over the box springs and down from there. This would give the same effect without all the bulk attached to the quilt.