Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

well its not bad make a yoyo for the center
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

well its not bad make a yoyo for the centerhope you finish it
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with it. It looks great to me.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM

I had to enlarge the picture and really look to see the problem. Really with the color choices it's hard to tell. I always use the 'galloping' horse rule, if you can't see it while riding by on a galloping horse it's fine .
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM

I had problems with the 1/4" seam until I purchased the 1/4" Seam Foot for my machine. Now, no problems. And remember to press your seams frequently! Also, there are TONS of instructional videos on Youtube.com. I have learned LOADS from the quiltingboard. Since joining the QB I have finished 3 quilts and 8 quilt tops.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM

Ok, so I clicked on the picture, magnified it, then magnified it again by changing the zoom settings on the computer. I was finally able to see the center clearly enough to see what you aren't pleased with. But it was only after magnifying it about 175% that I could see anything. So a few of the center seams are off, but like another poster said, the dark colors make it almost unrecognizable. What amazed me about your square was how perfect the green points next to the cream fabric were. The green/cream fabric contrast caught my eye first and I was amazed with how perfect the points were. I wouldn't scrap the entire project at all. I have been making quilts on and off for the last 8 years and stupid triangles always frustrate me because no matter how carefully I cut the fabric, stitch the triangles together, am careful not to pull the fabric, it seems that there are always issues with triangle points not being perfect. I've learned that it doesn't really matter because once the whole piece is completed, imperfections that are huge to the quilter are barely noticable to others.

I competed in 4-H sewing for 9 years as a kid and was taught to sew to make things perfect because they would be judged and medals were on the line. After 9 years of taking top medals for construction, it has taken me many years to get over being a perfectionist with quilting. I still am with garment construction, but I've kind of learned that people don't look at perfectly matched seams and points on quilts - they look at color, contrast, and either the hand or machine quilting. Please don't give up on this quilt because it isn't perfect to you. To me, who judges sewing based on what I learned in 4-H, had to look very closely to find anything even slightly wrong. I can show you imperfections in all of my quilts, but once I had finished the quilt, the imperfections are not at all noticible. Your color choices are so beautiful and the points so perfect that I think it would be a shame to give up on the quilt. Please don't give up on it! Besides, that cream will show off some beautiful quilting.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM

So, for those of you who have quilted for a long time, what are us novices doing wrong that cause our points on triangles to not match up? Is it the quilting foot? Cutting? I would appreciate the help with this also.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM

Now, I am really nervous to start cutting into the 400.00 worth of fabric I bought for a double quilt with flying geese....I read a very inspiring post here a few days ago from someone who said she tries to push herself to learn something new with each quilt....I keep thinking about that, but still....OH SO NERVOUS!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM

If you make about 67 more of these and put them all into a quilt, this ONE will NEVER be noticeable. Believe me, only the quilt police check every juncture of every block in a quilt, and you don't have to invite them in. No one else has time for that.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM

Looks beautiful to me. Love the fabric. How about putting something right in the center, like a button, a bow, a crochet rose. Then quilt the rest. It will make a beautiful wall hanging.