Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Several quilt magazines to stop hard copy publication >
  • Several quilt magazines to stop hard copy publication

• Several quilt magazines to stop hard copy publication

Old 08-24-2013, 03:29 AM

Unhappy re magazines going digital!

Originally Posted by caroloto
    That maybe great for those with internet but there are still plenty of older quilters which I feel sorry for whom get these magazines that do not own a computer or an ebook or even smart/iphone phones. In fact I have younger friends whom can't even save or send a file to a disk/SD card.
    The family member that taught me to quilt is 88 years old and still quilting and a subscriber to the printed magazines. She does not have a computer, so does not do internet either! She has made many award winning quilts and continues to do so, using ideas from her quilting magazines that she eagerly awaits every month. This will be a sad state of affairs for her.

One of my embroidery magazines (I quilt using embroidery machines) just informed me that my subscription went digital. I informed them I did not sign up for the digital (I did have the choice) because I frequently lose stuff on my computer! They are sending me the printed subscription. It will be interesting to see how long my 2 years subscription lasts in the printed page.
    Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 AM
    FLQ

Digital works fr me too. Traveling half the time makes having a resource library difficult. The digital issues are portable and easy to manage.
    Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 AM

......okay digital gurus out here........I "use" a computer, have a smart phone, and an iPad, oh, and also a Kindle, but am no way very sophisticated in any of their uses.....I do not do any personal banking, paying bills or purchasing electronically.....fear hacking, etc. Having said that, what happens to digital mags if/when there is a loss of Internet service or your device "dies"? Can info be retrieved when source is regained? Just wondering....I personally have cut back on subscriptions, but do like to sit down and flip pages and make notes on something I may be interested in...I guess I am a Luddite.
    Old 08-24-2013, 04:12 AM

I really like my hard copies. For Christmas last year my daughter sent me several boxes of quilt magazines. She found them at an antique store. They are from the 50's and 60's and in perfect condition. One of my BEST presents, EVER.
    Old 08-24-2013, 04:26 AM

I have a question - we own a tablet, not an Ipad. My husband says it would be hard to print from the tablet. Would I be able to email the pattern to myself, then print it out from our laptop, if I had a digital subscription??
    Old 08-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltaddict
    That's odd cause I just got a letter asking me to subscribe again. No mention of it being digital only.
    I did too....whats going on...
    Old 08-24-2013, 05:24 AM
    Power Poster

Oh dang that makes me sad. I love snuggeling up with a quilt magazine on the couch with a nice cuppa. I subscribe to most of them. I am not a fan of digital magazine at all. I won't be renewing my subscriptions either.
    Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by sandyms
    I have a question - we own a tablet, not an Ipad. My husband says it would be hard to print from the tablet. Would I be able to email the pattern to myself, then print it out from our laptop, if I had a digital subscription??
    I do that a lot from my iPad, and it should work the same from any tablet as long as you can e-mail it to yourself. Try it and see.
    Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 AM
    Power Poster

yes this is a sad day.... I like my hard copy of the magazines...
    Old 08-24-2013, 05:58 AM

I didn't subscribe to any of those. But I wonder if the ones that I do get will be doing the same? If so I'll just purchase more quilting books instead.